Why Are Minor Gridlines in MS Excel Changing Values Automatically?

• Thread starter Stevedye56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, Steve said that Open Office can solve the problem of Excel automatically changing minor gridlines to .000036. Steve also tried some junk data and had no problem setting the minor plot divisions to .00001.
Stevedye56
Hey all,

I have a quick question about the minor gridlines in MS Excel. I have points that differ by
.00001 on the graph. However when I type this in, Excel automatically changes it to
.000036 every time. I wasn't sure if anybody knew if Open Office could solve this problem or if its just a useless battle.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you using an X-Y line plot or a X-Y scatter plot? Make sure it is a scatter plot. Never use the line plot (I have no idea why they insist on including it as an option).

FredGarvin said:
Are you using an X-Y line plot or a X-Y scatter plot? Make sure it is a scatter plot. Never use the line plot (I have no idea why they insist on including it as an option).

Yes, I am using the X-Y scatter plot.

Can you share some of the data so we can replicate the problem? I have never seen Excel do this. That definitely doesn't mean there's no bugs in there.

I just tried some junk data I made up and had no problem setting the minor plot divisions to .00001.

Last edited:
Ok so this is a projectile motion problem and the y-axis represents displacement, "s" and the x-axis represents t^2/2 where "t" is time in seconds, and s is in meters.

s1= -0.385 t1= .27
s2= -0.352 t2= .26
s3= -0.318 t3= .24
s4= -0.286 t4= .23
s5= -0.257 t5= .22
s6= -0.240 t6= .21

I then use an equation in excel for it to caclulate t^2/2 for me automatically. =((B1^2)2)
I did this for each time. The results i got were this

t^2/2 1. 0.03645
t^2/2 2. 0.0338
t^2/2 3. 0.0288
t^2/2 4. 0.02645
t^2/2 5. 0.0242
t^2/2 6. 0.02205

Then I used the X-Y Scatter to make my graph which was fine. And then I added a linear trendline which was also fine; but when I tried to set my gridlines at .00001 they didin't work.

I hope the data helps a little.

Thanks,
Steve

I see what you mean. However, what I am wondering now is really why you need that kind of resolution in the grid lines. None of the data you provided had a delta of .00001. Granted you may not have given all the data, but do you really need to have minor divisions that small?

It is definitely a resolution issue. If you narrow the overall range on the axis to a smaller value, you can get the minor divisions to what you are looking for. Perhaps Excel has a built in check to allow only so many minor divisions per overall scale.

That was all the data I was given. I wasn't there for the class becasue I was ill but I figured I'd do the graph as an attempt to make up some work. My teacher wants each point on the graph to be crossed by both a minor x and minor y gridline. That's the only reason why I was trying to get them that small.

That is a silly request from a teacher. There's no need for that. That is like saying that you want all of the T's in your paper to have little curls at the end. It makes no difference in the data.

I don't know what to tell you on this one. It looks like a limit in Excel itself. Perhaps someone else here can clue us both in.

I don't know Excel well enough to try your sample.
Most microsoft drawing objects (like grid) have a link to screen resolution.
So for a particular screen resolution there will be a minimum setting for grid lines.
You could test this idea by choosing a lower screen setting and see if the number gets larger.

Im new to physicsforums, thought i could help.
I tried your data and sure enough i got the same problem, but the value to which excel changed the minor gridlines was different, and a little fiddling around later, i got the reason.
Its related to the "span" of your graph. Try limiting the values of the minimum and maximum values of x and y on the graph so that the range covered is less,and you'll see that excel rounds it off to a lower value. It seems as if excel changes the value automatically to the minimum it can display (it needs atleast this much separation between the gridlines).

Hope this helps

Mani

1. What are minor gridlines in MS Excel?

Minor gridlines in MS Excel are the faint lines that appear between major gridlines on a chart or graph. They help to visually divide the chart into smaller units and make it easier to read and interpret the data.

2. How do I add minor gridlines in MS Excel?

To add minor gridlines in MS Excel, click on the chart or graph and go to the “Design” tab in the top menu. Then, click on “Add Chart Element” and select “Gridlines.” From the drop-down menu, choose “More Gridline Options” and under “Minor Gridlines,” select the desired style and color.

3. Can I remove minor gridlines in MS Excel?

Yes, you can remove minor gridlines in MS Excel. To do so, click on the chart or graph and go to the “Design” tab. Click on “Add Chart Element” and select “Gridlines.” From the drop-down menu, uncheck the box next to “Minor Gridlines.” This will remove the minor gridlines from your chart.

4. Why are minor gridlines important in MS Excel?

Minor gridlines are important in MS Excel because they help to improve the readability of charts and graphs. They make it easier to interpret data and identify trends or patterns. Additionally, they can also be used to guide the eye towards specific data points or intervals.

5. Can I customize the appearance of minor gridlines in MS Excel?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of minor gridlines in MS Excel. As mentioned before, you can select the style and color of the minor gridlines. You can also change the line thickness and add effects, such as shadow or glow, to make the minor gridlines stand out more on your chart.