Exploring Linux & Unix: Which Version & What Books to Buy?

In summary, Ubuntu is a very popular distribution that is easy to use, Fedora is a good choice for those who want to learn more about Unix, and Kubuntu is a good choice for those who want a more lightweight distribution.
chaoseverlasting
Recently I've been reading up some, and in certain communities Linux and particularly Unix are very well accepted. I want to switch over to Linux or Unix or possibly have both on my system. Any suggestions on which versions to run?
So far, I think I may settle on Red Hat because some of my friends have a copy of it, but have no idea on how to use it. Also, I am quite certain that I will have to read up a lot of material to use Linux effectively. Any ideas on which books I should buy?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ubuntu is favorite with home users for desktop installs but it really doesn't matter, you get pretty much the same apps with all and the apps can run on any distribution.

Ubuntu does have the advantage of a live cd where it runs completely in memory (booting from the cd) so you can test it out without touching the harddrive. Most distros will also repartition your drive without losing windows.

As for using it - if you are just using gui apps it's no different from windows/mac - there are probably more differences in the different vista themes than between linux/windows.
If you want to use the command line ( the real power of unix ) O'reilly used to be the best for unix books.

Good choice. :wink:

Just a few threads below yours : i think i want to try linux out. But that thread is a "bit" biased towards Ubuntu, so here's a site that lists almost every distribution available. http://distrowatch.com

If you know people around you who can help you out, then I would suggest that you install one of the distros they use. (In your case, Red Hat.)

I haven't yet bought a proper book on Linux. In fact, there's one usually recommended for beginners from O'Reilly that goes by the name Running Linux. I downloaded the guides from TLDP.

Last edited:
...If you've interested in Red Hat related Linux distros Fedora 8 is being release today (the "community" project of Red Hat). And if you want a clone of Red Hat EL 5, the current "enterprise" level release, which is free you may want to check out centos (if you've interests towards server side of things or want a more "sturdy" distribution which takes new things in bit more slowly). For desktop don't think you really can choose "wrong", going with any major one like ubuntu and you'll do fine.

I think you got the unix/linux thing pretty mixed up..
Unix is a system which follows the SUS (Single UNIX Specification), mac OSX is such a system for example, so is darwin (mac OSX's open source derivative - mac OSX in turn was derived from freeBSD - which is not fully Unix certified)
many Linux distributions are Unix-like (but not Unix), because they follow many POSIX and SUS standards.

Unix is not an Operating system (just a set of standards), and is not Linux.
and Linux is not an Operating system (just a kernel) and its distributions are Unix-like.

now for the more helpful part of my post:
have a look here
it will recommend a Linux distribution for you.

I recommend Ubuntu, but I'm biased =P
anyway, the difference between the distributions is not all that big, have a look at my posts on that other thread...
(my last post on that thread also demonstrates linux's strength with shell scripting)

Last edited:
It's a bit splitting hairs. Unix is whatever who owns the trademark this week says it is.
Through most of the 90s there were usually at least 'n' court cases in progress at any time. Currently the SUS group own 'Unix' but that might change.

There are a lot more OSs that are Unix-like, including Linux.
It's a bit like claiming you speak English - is that only true if you have a TOEFL certificate, do you speak English if you are American/Canadian/Australian/Scottish ?

Scottish people don't really speak English :rofl:

Last edited:
I want to know how to do things the command line way... there are several books available for download on the net on unix/linux which I think ill use initially... thank you all for checking this post out

chaoseverlasting said:
Any suggestions on which versions to run?
All of them? Choice isn't a bad thing.

http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

Based on rank alone, I recommend any of the top 5. Based on experience, I strongly recommend ubuntu(or kubuntu) & sabayon as I'm using them right now on my two computers. I don't think any are really bad - at least I've never had a bad experience. Eg I recently tried out vector & elive (for what should be obvious reasons). While they were not quite up to the previous two's standards, they were still good enough to use, low rank notwithstanding.

If you see something even slightly interesting, burn a livecd & try it out.

Don't forget to image your windows partition & keep something that does fixmbr close.

Last edited:
FWIW - The open group & IEEE "own" SUSv2, SUSv3 and the current incarnation of POSIX.

1. What is the difference between Linux and Unix?

Linux and Unix are both operating systems, but they have different origins and designs. Unix was developed in the 1970s and was primarily used in mainframe computers. Linux, on the other hand, was created in the 1990s and was designed to be a free and open-source alternative to Unix. While both systems have similar characteristics, they have different kernels and use different commands.

2. Which version of Linux or Unix should I choose?

There are many different versions, or distributions, of Linux and Unix. The best version for you will depend on your needs and preferences. Some popular versions of Linux include Ubuntu, Red Hat, and Debian. Unix has fewer distributions, with some of the most well-known being Solaris, FreeBSD, and HP-UX. It is recommended to research each version and try out a few to find the best fit for your purposes.

3. Can I use Linux or Unix on my computer?

Yes, both Linux and Unix can be installed and used on a personal computer. However, some versions may be more compatible with certain hardware and software than others. It is important to check the system requirements of the version you are interested in before installing it on your computer. Additionally, some versions may require a certain level of technical expertise to install and use.

4. Are there any good books or resources for learning Linux or Unix?

Yes, there are many books and online resources available for learning Linux and Unix. Some popular titles include "The Linux Command Line" by William Shotts and "Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook" by Evi Nemeth. It is recommended to research and read reviews to find the best resources for your learning style.

5. Can I use Linux or Unix for programming?

Yes, both Linux and Unix are widely used for programming and development. Many developers prefer these systems due to their flexibility, customizability, and command-line interface. There are also many programming languages and tools available for these systems, making them a popular choice for developers.