Diagonalizing a Quadratic Form: x^{2} + 2y^{2} + z^{2} + 2xy + 4xz + 6yz

In summary: If the eigenvalues are 0, 1, and -1, then the equation P^tAP= 0, 1, -1 has no solution. You must mean "diagonal with entries in {1, 0} or "diagonal with entries in {1,-1}" rather than "diagonal with entries in {1,-1,0}".In summary, the symmetric matrix A for the given quadratic form is determined to be\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}1 & 1 & 2 \\1 & 2 & 3 \\2 & 3 & 1 \end{array} \right)\] The characteristic polynomial is found to
T-7

Homework Statement

[tex]x^{2} + 2y^{2} + z^{2} + 2xy + 4xz + 6yz[/tex]

Write down the symmetric matrix A for which the form is expressible as [tex]x^{t}Ax[/tex] where t denotes transpose. Diagonalise each of the forms and in each case find a real non-singular matrix P for which the matrix [tex]P^{t}AP[/tex] is diagonal with entries in {1,-1,0}.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried this by completing the square.

[tex]
x^{2} + 2y^{2} + z^{2} + 2xy + 4xz + 6yz
= (x + y + 2z)^{2} + y^{2} - 3z^{2} + 2yz
= (x + y + 2z)^{2} + (y + z)^2 - 4z^2
= x_{1}^{2} + x_{2}^{2} - x_{3}^{2}[/tex]

where

[tex]
x_{1} = x + y + 2z,
x_{2} = y + z,
x_{3} = 2z,
[/tex]

However, I just can't seem to find the eigenvalues for this form.

The symmetric matrix A for this quadratic form is

[tex]
\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 1 & 2 \\
1 & 2 & 3 \\
2 & 3 & 1 \end{array} \right)\]
[/tex]

and the characteristic polynomial is given by

[tex]
\[ \chi(\lambda) = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
1-\lambda & 1 & 2 \\
1 & 2-\lambda & 3\\
2 & 3 & 1-\lambda \end{array} \right|.\]
[/tex]

I find this comes to

[tex]f(\lambda) = \lambda^{3} - 4(\lambda^2) + 9(\lambda) - 4[/tex]

which does not factorise -- so I can't get the eigenvalues, and can't form a matrix P. However, I have shown that a diagonal form is possible by completing the square. So surely I ought to be able to find three eigenvalues? Can someone point out where I've gone wrong?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've misplaced a couple of signs! The coefficient of [itex]\lambda[/itex] is +4+ 1- 4= 1. The correct equation is [itex]\lambda^3- 4\lambda^2- \lambda+ 4= 0[/itex] which obviously has [itex]\lambda- 1[/itex] as a factor.

HallsofIvy said:
You've misplaced a couple of signs! The coefficient of [itex]\lambda[/itex] is +4+ 1- 4= 1. The correct equation is [itex]\lambda^3- 4\lambda^2- \lambda+ 4= 0[/itex] which obviously has [itex]\lambda- 1[/itex] as a factor.

I am obviously brain-dead today. I'm still getting what I got before:

[tex]
\[ \chi(\lambda) = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
1-\lambda & 1 & 2 \\
1 & 2-\lambda & 3\\
2 & 3 & 1-\lambda \end{array} \right|\]
[/tex]

[tex]= (1-\lambda)((2-\lambda)(1-\lambda)-9)-(1-\lambda-6)+2(3-2(2-\lambda))[/tex]
[tex]= (1-\lambda)(2-3\lambda+\lambda^{2}-9)-(-\lambda-5)+2(2\lambda-1)[/tex]
[tex]=(1-\lambda)(\lambda^{2}-3\lambda-7)+\lambda+5+4\lambda-2[/tex]
[tex]=(1-\lambda)(\lambda^{2}-3\lambda-7)+5\lambda+3[/tex]
[tex]=\lambda^{2}-3\lambda-7-\lambda^{3}+3\lambda^{2}+7\lambda+5\lambda+3[/tex]
[tex]=-\lambda^{3}+4\lambda^{2}+9\lambda-4[/tex]

Well, that's not exactly what you had before but I messed up also.

The part about "diagonal with entries in {1,-1,0}" implies that the eigenvalues are 0, 1, and -1. But that can't possibly be correct.

1. What is diagonalization of a quadratic form?

Diagonalization of a quadratic form is a process of transforming a quadratic form into a diagonal form, where all the cross-product terms are eliminated. This simplifies the form and makes it easier to analyze and solve.

2. Why is it important to diagonalize a quadratic form?

Diagonalization of a quadratic form is important because it helps in identifying the nature of the quadratic form, such as whether it is positive definite, negative definite, or indefinite. It also simplifies the form, making it easier to solve and analyze.

3. How do you diagonalize a quadratic form?

To diagonalize a quadratic form, we use a change of variables called orthogonal transformation. This involves finding an orthogonal matrix that transforms the original variables into new variables, eliminating the cross-product terms in the process.

4. Can any quadratic form be diagonalized?

Not all quadratic forms can be diagonalized. A quadratic form can only be diagonalized if it is symmetric, meaning that the coefficients of the cross-product terms are equal. If the quadratic form is not symmetric, it cannot be diagonalized.

5. How do you determine the nature of a quadratic form after diagonalization?

After diagonalization, the nature of the quadratic form can be determined by examining the signs of the coefficients in the diagonal form. If all the coefficients are positive, the form is positive definite. If all the coefficients are negative, the form is negative definite. If there are both positive and negative coefficients, the form is indefinite.