Help using superposition to solve (simple?) circuit

In summary, the voltage divider rule can be used to solve for the voltages and currents through the 3 resistors. Kirchoff's laws can also be used if you're having trouble visualizing the superposition idea.
bjersey

Homework Statement

We're learning about superposition in class right now and I'm having some trouble visualizing how to make simplifications using series/parallel connections. I attached the picture of the circuit and we're being asked to solve for the voltages and currents through the resistors.

Homework Equations

I understand the superposition idea, we have to replace each voltage source with a short and each current source with a open circuit. So for this particular example, I would first replace the 7V source with a short, then solve for all voltages/currents, then set the 28V source to a short then do the same, then algebraically add the results for the final answer. I'm having trouble doing this though.

For example, I first replace the 7V source with a short. I then have the 28V source, then the 3 resistors, would I be able to use the voltage divider rule to get the voltages through the 3 resistors, or should I use Kirchoff's laws? Please help and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• superposition.png
    superposition.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 616
Physics news on Phys.org
bjersey said:

Homework Statement

We're learning about superposition in class right now and I'm having some trouble visualizing how to make simplifications using series/parallel connections. I attached the picture of the circuit and we're being asked to solve for the voltages and currents through the resistors.

Homework Equations

I understand the superposition idea, we have to replace each voltage source with a short and each current source with a open circuit. So for this particular example, I would first replace the 7V source with a short, then solve for all voltages/currents, then set the 28V source to a short then do the same, then algebraically add the results for the final answer. I'm having trouble doing this though.

For example, I first replace the 7V source with a short. I then have the 28V source, then the 3 resistors, would I be able to use the voltage divider rule to get the voltages through the 3 resistors, or should I use Kirchoff's laws? Please help and thanks in advance.

The simplest way to solve it is using the voltage divider rule, remembering of course that R2 and R3 are in parallel.
But if you use Kirchoff's laws you will arrive to same result.

Yeah, use the voltage divider rule...

You'd get VR1 = [28v (4)] / [4 + (R2//R3)]

then I through R1 = VR1/R1...

and

VR2 = 28v - VR1

then VR2 = VR3 since they are in parallel...

and I of R2 is simply VR2/R2

and I of R3 is VR3/R3...

same goes when you use the 7v...

then add I of R1 when you used 28v an I of R1 when you used the 7v...
then you'd get the I through R1 when both of batteries are working...

then do the same for others.

1. How does superposition help solve circuit problems?

Superposition is a technique used to simplify complex circuit problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This is done by considering each individual source and its effects on the circuit, while ignoring all other sources. By solving for each individual part and then combining the solutions, the overall solution for the circuit can be found.

2. What is the first step when using superposition to solve a circuit?

The first step is to identify all the independent sources in the circuit. These are sources that are not dependent on any other sources in the circuit, such as batteries or independent voltage/current sources. Dependent sources, such as voltage-dependent voltage sources, can be included in the analysis once the independent sources have been identified.

3. Can superposition only be used for simple circuits?

No, superposition can be used for any type of circuit, regardless of its complexity. However, it is most useful for circuits with multiple sources and components, as it simplifies the problem and makes it easier to solve.

4. Are there any limitations to using superposition to solve circuits?

Yes, superposition can only be applied to linear circuits. Nonlinear components, such as diodes and transistors, cannot be analyzed using this method. Additionally, superposition assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state condition and does not take into account any transient effects.

5. How accurate is the solution obtained using superposition?

The solution obtained using superposition is accurate as long as the assumptions and limitations of the method are followed. If the circuit is linear and in a steady-state condition, the solution obtained using superposition will be the same as the solution obtained using other methods, such as Kirchhoff's laws or mesh analysis. However, it is always important to double check the solution to ensure its accuracy.