Force between two magnets as related to distance

In summary, Magnet4less is seeking help in deriving an equation for the attractive/repulsive force between two magnets, while ensuring that the magnets do not interfere with each other. They have considered using Newton's Universal Gravity equation and manipulating the pull force of the magnet, but are open to any suggestions. They clarify that they are looking for the force between two bar magnets and provide a resource for reference.
Magnet4less
Hello,
I am new to the forum, thus please be patient with me.

I have a little bit of a problem...

Currently working with magnets. Basically, I need to derive an equation for the attractive/repulsive force between two magnets given a distance between them. The most important thing is that these magnets not interfere with each other, in other words I need the attractive/repulsive force to be zero.

Thoughts so far...
- Newton's Universal Gravity equation
- F = GMm/R²
- manipulate the pull force of the magnet to derive a mass...divide pull force of magnet by 9.8m/s^2
- need to set F to an infinitely small amount and solve for R

I do not get offended very easily, so if you need to completely slam my thoughts so far in order to get me on the right track, I understand.

Thank you in advance for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Magnet4less said:
Basically, I need to derive an equation for the attractive/repulsive force between two magnets given a distance between them.
The most important thing is that these magnets not interfere with each other, in other words I need the attractive/repulsive force to be zero.

Hi Magnet4less ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'm not sure what you mean … do you mean you want the gravitational attraction between the magnets to be balanced by their magnetic repulsion? :confused:

(but if so, why are you using the value of g here on Earth?)

I'm trying to figure out how close I can place the magnets to one another without them visibly affecting each other.

1. What is the force between two magnets?

The force between two magnets is the attraction or repulsion that exists between the two magnets due to their magnetic fields.

2. How is the force between two magnets affected by distance?

The force between two magnets is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the magnets increases, the force decreases.

3. Can two magnets attract each other if they are too far apart?

Yes, two magnets can still attract each other even if they are far apart. However, the force of attraction will be weaker compared to when they are closer together.

4. What is the equation for calculating the force between two magnets?

The equation for calculating the force between two magnets is F = (μ₀ * m₁ * m₂) / (4π * d²), where F is the force, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, m₁ and m₂ are the magnitudes of the magnetic poles, and d is the distance between the magnets.

5. Can the force between two magnets be repulsive?

Yes, the force between two magnets can be repulsive if the magnets have like poles (both north or both south) facing each other. This repulsive force can also be affected by the distance between the magnets.