Solving 15 Boys x 15 Girls Dance Pairs

• Thread starter TrusighteR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, there are 225 different combinations of 15 people when pairing them up into heterosexual couples.
TrusighteR

Homework Statement

Problem: How many ways are there for 15 boys and 15 girls at a dance to pair up into 15 heterosexual dance couples?

Homework Equations

This is probably somewhat helpful, but I couldn't figure out exactly how to implement it.

nCr = [tex]\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I thought was if let's say you have all of the boys in a row 1 to 15, and you just rearrange the girls in every possible combination 15! and just match them up with each boy. then I multiply that number by 15 for the boys, and I get a number of like 19615115520000 which seems quite high...
I also tried to do it using a smaller amount of numbers to get an easier idea of how to do it, but it didn't help me much because then the number seemed too small.

Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem, there are two events, choosing a boy to dance(E[tex]_{1}[/tex]) and choosing a girl to dance(E[tex]_{2}[/tex]).
The number of combinations can be given by: E = E[tex]_{1}[/tex] [tex]\ast[/tex] E[tex]_{2}[/tex].
E[tex]_{1}[/tex] can be written as [tex]_{15}[/tex]C[tex]_{1}[/tex]. This is the number of combinations of 1 person out of a group of 15.
E[tex]_{2}[/tex] is the same: [tex]_{15}[/tex]C[tex]_{1}[/tex].
Using the equation you provided, [tex]_{15}[/tex]C[tex]_{1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{15!}{1!(15-1)}[/tex] = 15

Therefore: E = E[tex]_{1}[/tex] [tex]\ast[/tex] E[tex]_{2}[/tex] = [tex]_{15}[/tex]C[tex]_{1}[/tex] [tex]\ast[/tex] [tex]_{15}[/tex]C[tex]_{1}[/tex] = 15 * 15 = 225
So, there are 225 combinations.

Actually, the equation should be:

nCr = [tex]\frac{n!}{r!\ast(n-r)!}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{15!}{1!\ast(15-1)!}[/tex]

I'm not sure if that's correct guys, but Welcome to PF both of you.

Your idea was a good one - try the same problem with 2 girls and 2 boys. The first girl has 2 options. Then the second girl only has 1 option. So multiply it- 2 combinations.

3 girls and 3 boys - The first girl can choose between 3 boys. When she chooses, the second girl only has 2 to choose from. Then the last one only has 1 to choose from. So that's 3! combinations.

Extend this to 15 girls and 15 boys.

The way I would do this problem is this:

First put the boys in a line- you can do that any way you like- their order does not matter.

Now choose a girl to dance with the first boy. How many choices do you have?
Once you have done that, choose a girl to dance with the second boy. How many choices do you have for that?
Go through the line of boys like that, and, finally, using the "fundamental principal of counting", multiply the number of choices each time. The answer should be easy- and you should see immediately how that fits Gibz's suggestion.

Sorry for giving the incorrect information. :eek:

1. How do you determine the number of possible dance pairs in a group of 15 boys and 15 girls?

To determine the number of possible dance pairs, you can use the formula for combinations: nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of people and r is the number of people in each pair. In this case, n = 30 and r = 2, so the number of possible dance pairs is 30! / (2!(30-2)!) = 435.

2. Is it possible to have every boy dance with every girl in this group?

Yes, it is possible to have every boy dance with every girl in this group. This is known as a complete graph, where every vertex (person) is connected to every other vertex.

3. How many possible combinations of dance pairs are there if we have 20 boys and 15 girls?

Using the same formula as before, with n = 35 and r = 2, there would be 35! / (2!(35-2)!) = 595 possible combinations of dance pairs.

4. Can we use different combinations of dance pairs for each round of the dance competition?

Yes, it is possible to use different combinations of dance pairs for each round of the dance competition. This is known as a round-robin tournament, where each person dances with a different partner in each round.

5. How many boys and girls can be added to the group before it becomes impossible for every person to dance with every other person?

The maximum number of people that can be added to the group before it becomes impossible for every person to dance with every other person is 6. Once there are 21 boys and 21 girls, there will be 441 possible dance pairs, which is more than the total number of people in the group. Therefore, some people will be left without a partner.