Undergrad Employment: Working Part-Time While Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree

In summary, the financial aid rep said that you cannot work part-time and succeed in a bachelors degree program. Apparently, you need to put your full focus into your studies if you want to succeed. It is possible to work part time and succeed, but it is more difficult during the more advanced courses. You have to measure your abilities and figure out what works best for you.
Williams.235
So I just transferred to a local 4 year school from a community college. I met with a financial aid rep to discuss how I am going to be paying for this little venture and received some shocking information. Apparantely, you cannot work part-time and succeed in a bachelors degree program according to this rep.

I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering so I expect a lot of study, tough times ahead. But I can't see part-time work as being bad. Do you all work (or did work) during your undergrad years?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did work during my undergrad in which I majored in physics. Look for campus opportunities. I was able to work as a research assistant in a lab on campus. Also, I got the chance to teach an intro level physics lab for algebra based physics. Working on campus makes it a lot easier to balance school and work.

I will be beginning undergrad in engineering next year, and although it is discouraged by most university advisers, it is not impossible to work part time and be successful in undergraduate. But you have to remember that for a science/math oriented degree, it is difficult. I don't know how far along you are in your studies, considering you attended a community college and probably have gotten some of the beginning credits out of the way. But depending on your scenario, it is obviously easier to hold a part time job during the more intermediate courses, but much harder during the more advanced ones. I think most importantly, you have to measure your own abilities. Some people are capable of working part time and still doing well, while others, find it necessary to put their complete focus to their studies.

I hope I could help. Take everything I say with a grain of salt anyways, this is just from what I've heard, not from experience:tongue2:

I'm working right now. It's only about 10 hours a week, but it's a job. I know people who work more, too. It really depends on how fast you can get your homework done, what classes you are taking, and how much effort you want to put in.

I had to work 3 jobs to pay for my undergrad studies and I still had to use financial aid. That was until I got a cushy TA position my last year.

If you had replaced undergrad with grad school, then I would agree. If you had an outside job and were trying to go fulltime grad school- it would be tough.

I think many folks work part time and do just fine during undergrad studies. Its all about your time management skills. So you may want to go lightly on working or class load at first so you can get a feel for how it will work out and get used to managing you time accordingly, ie. do not sign up for 18 credit hours and 30+ hrs a week working for your first semester at university

One possibility for your second year would be to look into becoming an RA/RM, Residence Assistant (not research assistant). That is a job living in the campus housing facilities and sort of directing students, keeping them somewhat inline and helping the first year adjust to college. These jobs generally pay for your housing and give you some kind of a stipend per semester.

Last edited:

1. What are the benefits of working part-time while pursuing a Bachelor's degree?

Working part-time while pursuing a Bachelor's degree can have numerous benefits, such as gaining valuable work experience, developing time management and organizational skills, and earning extra income to support your education and living expenses.

2. Can working part-time affect my academic performance?

The impact of working part-time on academic performance can vary for each individual. However, with proper time management and balance, many students are able to successfully balance both work and school commitments without negatively affecting their grades.

3. How many hours should I work per week while pursuing a Bachelor's degree?

The number of hours you should work per week while pursuing a Bachelor's degree can depend on your personal circumstances and workload. It is generally recommended to limit your work hours to around 10-15 hours per week to maintain a healthy balance between work and school.

4. Can I gain relevant experience in my field of study through part-time work?

Yes, working part-time can provide valuable experience in your field of study, especially if you are able to find a job related to your major or career goals. This experience can be beneficial when applying for internships or full-time positions after graduation.

5. Are there any resources available for finding part-time work while in school?

Many universities offer resources for finding part-time work, such as job fairs, career centers, and online job boards. Additionally, networking with professors, classmates, and alumni can also help you find opportunities for part-time work in your field of study.