Find the Best "Modern Physics" Textbook for Sophomore-Junior Physics

In summary, there are a few recommended textbooks for a sophomore-junior level Physics course in Modern Physics. These include Krane's "Modern Physics", Resnick Hallidays, Young - Friedman book, and Eisberg & Resnick's "Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles". Additional supplementary texts for topics such as relativity may also be useful.
pmariston
Does anybody know of a good "Modern Physics" textbook, to be used for a sophomore-junior Physics course in Modern Physics?

I had once used Krane's "Elementary Modern Physics" (long time ago) but it was not a real textbook. I have seen he has a new edition of "Modern Physics", I don't know about it.

If someone knows of a good textbook, let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing you mean some form of introductory quantum mechanics.

Uh, for an easy one try resnick hallidays. If you've got the math, no reason why you couldn't do the first half of Griffiths QM.

Thanks.

Modern Physics topics indeed tend to focus on nuclear, atomic, particle Physics, as well as astrophysics (some times).

I guess the Halliday Rescnick books cover these topics.

I also heard of a Young - Friedman book, which is supposed to be good for a modern Physics course (introductory level)

Thanks!

Halliday is more for first year stuff though. If your doing junior type stuff, even Griffiths is low.

I'd suggest Eisberg & Resnick, Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles. Supplement with a relativity text like Spacetime Physics or one of Rindler's books.

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a modern physics textbook?

When choosing a modern physics textbook, it is important to consider factors such as the level of difficulty, the author's writing style, the inclusion of relevant and up-to-date information, and the use of helpful visuals and examples.

2. How can I determine the level of difficulty of a modern physics textbook?

The level of difficulty of a modern physics textbook can be determined by looking at the prerequisites listed in the book, as well as the level of math required. Additionally, reading reviews or asking for recommendations from other students or professors can provide insight into the difficulty level.

3. What are some good resources for finding reviews of modern physics textbooks?

Some good resources for finding reviews of modern physics textbooks include academic review websites, such as RateMyProfessors or Goodreads, as well as online forums and discussion boards for physics students and professionals.

4. Are there any online versions of modern physics textbooks available?

Yes, there are many modern physics textbooks available in online versions. Some publishers offer digital versions of their textbooks, while others may offer free online resources or supplemental materials. Additionally, there are also open-source and free online textbooks available for modern physics.

5. How can I ensure that the modern physics textbook I choose is up-to-date?

To ensure that the modern physics textbook you choose is up-to-date, look for recent publication dates and check the author's credentials and affiliations. You can also compare the content of the textbook to current research and advancements in the field of modern physics.