Reading a Force vs Time graph to get distance?

In summary: So the equation is x = (1/2)*a*t^2 +Vi*t + Xi, where Vi is the final velocity of the previous calculation. Keep doing this for each section and adding up the total displacement for all sections. In summary, the net force exerted on a 3.5-kg block is shown in a graph as a function of time. Using the equations of F=ma and x = (1/2)*a*t^2 +Vi*t + Xi, the block travels a total distance of 10.838 m in the first 11.0 seconds. It is important to change the initial velocity each time when calculating displacement for different sections of the graph.
ceziacrowe

Homework Statement

The net force exerted on a 3.5-kg block is shown in the figure as a function of time. How far does the block travel in the first 11.0 s? Assume that the motion is one dimensional and that the velocity of the block at time t= 0 s is 0 m/s.

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that I could use the force on the graph so I used F=ma. Using the first point of the graph, I got 4 N = (3.5 kg)a, solved for a and got 1.14 m/s^2. Since I'm trying to find distance, I tried using Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad but here's where I got stuck. Initial velocity would be 0 m/s but for final velocity, I'm not sure where I would get that number from. Am I headed in the right direction with this problem?

Also, this type of graph is kind of confusing to read for me. If the y-axis in this problem was labeled acceleration (ax) instead of F(N), a straight horizontal line from 0 to 2 seconds would be constant acceleration then from 2 to 6 seconds, it would be zero acceleration?

Any help would be amazing and immensely appreciated.

Attachments

• prob01av10.gif
    prob01av10.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,020
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use this equation: x = (1/2)*a*t^2 +Vi*t + Xi

And, a horizontal line is constant acceleration, A line horizontal at Zero is zero acceleration.

Texag said:
Use this equation: x = (1/2)*a*t^2 +Vi*t + Xi

And, a horizontal line is constant acceleration, A line horizontal at Zero is zero acceleration.

So I calculated each part and it's still coming out as an incorrect answer.

For 0-2 s, x=(1/2)(1.14 m/s^2)(2^2 s) + 0 m/s + 0.
I did the same thing (finding a then plugging it into that equation) until the 11.0 s mark on the graph but the answer was incorrect.

I also put for Xi the total amount of X calculated so far but I got the same answer of 10.838 m.

Last edited:
You have to be sure to change the initial velocity each time you calculate. For example, when finding the displacement of the second portion, It is not zero, but the final velocity of the one you calculated above.

1. What is a Force vs Time graph and how is it related to distance?

A Force vs Time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between the force applied on an object and the time it takes for that force to act. This graph is related to distance because the area under the curve on the graph represents the distance traveled by the object.

2. How do I interpret a Force vs Time graph to determine the distance traveled?

To determine the distance traveled, you must look at the area under the curve on the graph. The larger the area, the greater the distance traveled. You can also use the slope of the graph to calculate the distance by using the formula distance = velocity x time.

3. Can a Force vs Time graph be used to calculate the speed of an object?

Yes, a Force vs Time graph can be used to calculate the speed of an object. The slope of the graph represents the velocity of the object, and by using the formula velocity = distance/time, you can calculate the speed.

4. How does the shape of a Force vs Time graph affect the distance traveled?

The shape of a Force vs Time graph can affect the distance traveled in different ways. A steeply sloped graph indicates a higher velocity, which means the object is covering more distance in a shorter amount of time. A flat or gradually sloping graph suggests a lower velocity, resulting in a shorter distance traveled.

5. Can a Force vs Time graph be used to compare distances traveled by different objects?

Yes, a Force vs Time graph can be used to compare distances traveled by different objects. The area under the curve can be used to determine the distance traveled, allowing for a comparison between different objects. However, it is important to note that the objects must have similar forces acting on them for an accurate comparison.