Exact number of zeros for any given continuous function

In summary, Marin is looking for papers, articles, or anything that can provide information on finding the exact number of zeros for any given continuous function. She has found a website that provides a few references for further research.
Tymick
I'm in need of sources, articles, mainly anything that can provide information on finding the exact number of zeros for any given continuous function, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Tymick said:
I'm in need of sources, articles, mainly anything that can provide information on finding the exact number of zeros for any given continuous function, thanks in advance.

Hi!

What do you mean by 'exact number of zeros'? If that's the intersections of the function with the x-axis all you do is solve the equation: f(x)=0

1. If the function is polynomial read more about factorising and dividing polynomials, the theorem of Vieta and the Horner table (or scheme, or schedule - don't know the English term :( )

2. If the function consists of transcendent and polynomial functions, i.e: f(x)=x^3-sinx+lnx you are unable to do the calculations analytically (in the most cases) - so look at the Newton's approximation method - unfortunately, the number you get will no be 'exact' :(

3. If the function is defined over C - the field of the complex numbers - take a look at the fundamental theorem of algebraThat's all I can think of up to now :)

Best wishes, Marin

[Edit]: If it's up to the number and not the coordinates of the points, try just sketching the graph and counting them. Sketch the graph, using the knowledge from differential calculus (limits, maxima, minima, asymptotes, inflex points)

Thanks marin,

However I already know of those methods, notice I never asked for methods but rather for papers that have been published, or any other source that I could use for research, on the exact number of zeros given any arbitrary interval on any given continuous function, I'm just having some trouble finding papers, as I said above.

(Note: I don't plan to generalize such a thing, the entire concept of it is fairly difficult from where I stand, but it's just for research.)

1. What is the significance of finding the exact number of zeros for a continuous function?

Finding the exact number of zeros for a continuous function can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of the function. It can also help in solving equations and making predictions about the function's values at certain points.

2. How do you determine the exact number of zeros for a continuous function?

The exact number of zeros for a continuous function can be determined by using various methods, such as graphing, algebraic manipulation, or numerical approximation techniques. The method used will depend on the complexity of the function and the availability of tools.

3. Can a continuous function have an infinite number of zeros?

Yes, a continuous function can have an infinite number of zeros. This is possible when the function has infinitely many oscillating points or when it approaches a horizontal asymptote.

4. Is there a general formula for finding the exact number of zeros for any given continuous function?

No, there is no general formula for finding the exact number of zeros for any given continuous function. The method used to determine the zeros will vary depending on the function, and in some cases, finding the exact number of zeros may not be possible without using advanced mathematical techniques.

5. How can knowing the exact number of zeros for a continuous function be applied in real-world situations?

Knowing the exact number of zeros for a continuous function can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can help in modeling and predicting the behavior of systems and making informed decisions based on the behavior of the function.