Action of Clifford-elements on vectors & spinors

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between Clifford algebras and pin/spin-groups, specifically in relation to physical tools such as Weyl-spinors and Majorana representation. The question is raised about the difference between vector and spinor actions, with an explanation that the spinor action can rotate higher grade elements in a more intuitive manner. A recommended reference for this topic is also mentioned.
blue2script
Hi all!

I am currently preparing a talk about Clifford algebras and pin/spin-groups. Since half the audience will consist of physicians (as I am myself) I also want to get more into the connection of the mathematical definitions and derivations (as one may find in Baker, "Matrix groups" or, more for the physical liking, "Analysis, Manifolds and Physics (vol. 2)" of Choquet-Bruhat Y. & Dewitt-Morette) to the physical tools of everydays use, like Weyl-spinors, Majorana representation, behaviour of spinors under rotations.

Especially the last point is unclear to me. The only somewhat good explanation I could find was in Wikipedia, article "Spinor" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinor" ). Under >> "Examples" >> "Two dimensions" it is written that the action of elements on vectors is

[tex]\gamma\left(u\right) = \gamma u\gamma^*[/tex]

whereas on spinors it is

[tex]\gamma\left(\phi\right) = \gamma \phi[/tex].

So the spinor shell be just a complex number. But where do these actions come from? What distinguishes, in this special case, vector and spinor? I am somewhat confused.

Thanks everybody helping me out!
Blue2script

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what that article what that article means by action on a spinor, but as used, "the action on a vector" part is just a rotation.

If u lies in the plane of the bivector [itex]i = \sigma_1\sigma_2[/itex], then yes, this is just a complex product, but this action also works as a rotation in higher dimensions. This is because both [itex]i[/itex] and the scalar component of the spinor will both commute with any component perpendicular to the plane.

For example, if you consider the split of a vector into parts parallel to the plane and perpendicular to the plane

[tex]
u = u_\parallel + u_\perp = (u \cdot i) \frac{1}{i} + (u \wedge i) \frac{1}{i}
[/tex]

and a spinor

[tex]
\gamma = \exp(i\theta/2) = \cos\theta/2 + i\sin\theta/2
[/tex]

the action is linear, so both components can be considered separately. For the parallel to the plane part one has (and you can verify this by multiplying the bits out)

[tex]
\exp(i\theta/2) u_\parallel \exp(-i\theta/2) = \exp(i\theta) u_\parallel
[/tex]

... this takes the form of a normal complex rotation.

for the component out of the plane one has:

[tex]
\exp(i\theta/2) u_\perp \exp(-i\theta/2) = \exp(i\theta/2) \exp(-i\theta/2) u_\perp = u_\perp
[/tex]

Thus the action produces a rotation around a vector normal to the plane, but formulates this in a way that works in any dimension (like 4D where one can't express this normal in an unambigous fashion.)

Geometrically, a spinor action of this sort can rotate higher grade elements such as planes in an intuitive fashion. I can't imagine geometrically what it would mean to apply such an action to a mixed grade object such as this 2,0 spinor, nor how that produces the "complex product" mentioned in the wiki article.

fwiw. A reference that I'd recommend for this material is 'Geometric Algebra for Computer Science'. It doesn't have the applied to physics focus but is much easier to understand then the Doran/Lasenby text for example.

1. What is the purpose of studying the action of Clifford-elements on vectors and spinors?

The action of Clifford-elements on vectors and spinors is important in the study of geometric algebra, which is a mathematical framework for representing and manipulating geometric objects in a way that is independent of coordinate systems. By understanding how Clifford-elements act on vectors and spinors, we can gain a deeper understanding of geometric transformations and their properties.

2. How do Clifford-elements act on vectors and spinors?

Clifford-elements act on vectors and spinors through a process called geometric multiplication. This is a generalization of the vector cross product and allows for the combination of different types of geometric objects, such as vectors, bivectors, and spinors, into a single object called a multivector.

3. What is the difference between the action of Clifford-elements on vectors and spinors?

The main difference between the action of Clifford-elements on vectors and spinors is the types of objects they produce. When acting on a vector, a Clifford-element produces a bivector, which represents a plane in space. When acting on a spinor, a Clifford-element produces a new spinor, which represents a rotation in space.

4. How does the action of Clifford-elements relate to rotations and reflections?

The action of Clifford-elements is closely related to rotations and reflections in space. Geometric multiplication with a Clifford-element can represent a rotation or reflection about a given plane in space. This allows for the efficient manipulation of rotations and reflections using geometric algebra.

5. What are some practical applications of the action of Clifford-elements on vectors and spinors?

The action of Clifford-elements has many practical applications in fields such as physics, computer graphics, and robotics. It is used to model and simulate 3D rotations and rigid body motions, as well as to represent and manipulate geometric objects in computer graphics. It also has applications in quantum mechanics, where it is used to describe the spin of particles.