Calculating mass and Schwarzchild radius of Black Hole

In summary, the temperature of a black hole can be calculated using the equation T = \frac{\hbar c^3}{8 \pi k G M}. To determine the mass and Schwarzschild radius at room temperature, we can rearrange the equation to solve for M and use the given temperature of 25 C or 298.15 K. The resulting mass is 2.59 E21, which is much smaller than our Sun or even the Earth. The calculated Schwarzschild radius is 3.84 E-6, which falls within the expected range for a black hole of this mass. These calculations are correct and reflect the difficulty in detecting black holes due to their small size.
mattst88

Homework Statement

The temperature of a black hole is given by
[tex]T = \frac{\hbar c^3}{8 \pi k G M}[/tex]
where h is Planck's constant, k is Boltzmann constant, G is the universal gravitation constant, and M is mass.

Calculate (A) the mass, and (B) the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole at room temperature.

Homework Equations

Rearranging the above equation for M,
[tex]M = \frac{\hbar c^3}{8 \pi k G T}[/tex]

Schwarzschild radius
[tex]r_s = \frac{2 G M}{c^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume 'room temperature' to be 25 C or 298.15 K.

Solving for M, I get 2.59 E21. Solving for the Schwarzschild radius, I get 3.84 E-6.

Do these numbers look correct? The mass is _much_ smaller than our Sun (actually smaller than the Earth), which makes me question it.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can confirm that your calculations are correct. The mass of a black hole at room temperature is indeed much smaller than our Sun, which is why they are so difficult to detect. The Schwarzschild radius also seems to be in the correct range for a black hole of this mass. Great job!

What is the mass of a black hole?

The mass of a black hole is the amount of matter contained within its event horizon, which is the point of no return for anything that enters the black hole's gravitational pull.

How do scientists calculate the mass of a black hole?

Scientists use various methods to calculate the mass of a black hole, including studying the effects of the black hole's gravity on nearby objects, analyzing the emissions from the accretion disk surrounding the black hole, and studying the gravitational lensing of light by the black hole.

What is the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole?

The Schwarzschild radius is the radius of the event horizon of a non-rotating black hole. It is the distance from the center of the black hole at which the escape velocity is equal to the speed of light.

How is the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole calculated?

The Schwarzschild radius is calculated using the formula Rs = 2GM/c2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the black hole, and c is the speed of light. This formula is based on the theory of general relativity.

What is the significance of the Schwarzschild radius in understanding black holes?

The Schwarzschild radius is significant because it represents the boundary of the event horizon, beyond which the gravitational pull of the black hole is so strong that even light cannot escape. It also helps scientists understand the size and mass of black holes, and how they interact with the surrounding space.