Calculate Average Blood Speed with Volume Flow Rate | Physics Problem Help

In summary: This means the new radius is 5.4E-3/7 = 0.0007714 m. Using this radius in the equation, the average blood speed is 0.447 m/s. In summary, the volume flow rate in an artery supplying the brain is 3.5E-6 m^3/s. The average blood speed is 0.0382 m/s when the radius is 5.4E-3 m, and 0.447 m/s when the radius is reduced by 1/7.
diamond_dust
Volume Flow Rate, Help?

1. The problem statement, all variable and given/known data

The volume flow rate in an artery supplying the brain is 3.5E-6 m^3/s.

(a.) If the radius of the artery is 5.4E-3 m, determine the average blood speed.
(b.) Find the average blood speed at a constriction in the artery if the constriction reduces the radius by a factor of 7. Assume that the volume flow rate is the same as in part (a.)

Homework Equations

Q = Volume flow rate = AV

The Attempt at a Solution

I got (a.) but I need help with (b.). I think my radius for part (b.) is wrong, but I don't know how else to get it.

For part (a.) I got 0.0382 m/s by using

Q = Volume flow rate = AV = pi x r^2 x v = 3.5E-6 m^3/s

and using the given radius in part (a.) I solved for v.

For part (b.) I divided the given radius by 7, and subtracted that from the original radius to get a radius of 4.63E-3, and I put it into the equation the same way as part (a.) and I got 0.0520 m/s, but it's wrong. Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

They mean that the constricted radius is 1/7 of the original radius, not 6/7 of it.

To solve part (b.), we can use the equation Q = AV, where Q is the volume flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the artery, and V is the average blood speed. Since the volume flow rate is the same in both parts (a.) and (b.), we can set the equations equal to each other and solve for the average blood speed in part (b.).

Q = AV

3.5E-6 m^3/s = (pi)(r^2)(v)

We know that the radius in part (b.) is reduced by a factor of 7, so the new radius would be 5.4E-3 m / 7 = 0.771E-3 m.

Substituting this into the equation, we get:

3.5E-6 m^3/s = (pi)(0.771E-3 m)^2(v)

Solving for v, we get an average blood speed of 0.75 m/s.

Therefore, the average blood speed at the constriction in the artery is 0.75 m/s. It is important to note that this is an approximation, as the actual blood flow in the body is much more complex and may not follow a simple equation. However, this calculation can provide a rough estimate for the average blood speed at a constriction in an artery.

1. What is volume flow rate?

Volume flow rate is the measurement of how much fluid or gas is moving through a certain area over a specific period of time. It is usually measured in units of volume per unit of time, such as cubic meters per second or gallons per minute.

2. How is volume flow rate calculated?

Volume flow rate is calculated by dividing the volume of fluid or gas that has passed through a given area by the time it took to pass through that area. This can be represented by the equation Q = V/t, where Q is the volume flow rate, V is the volume, and t is the time.

3. Why is volume flow rate important?

Volume flow rate is important because it allows us to understand how much fluid or gas is moving through a system. This is crucial in many industries, such as plumbing, HVAC, and chemical engineering, as it helps determine the efficiency and effectiveness of a system.

4. What factors can affect volume flow rate?

There are several factors that can affect volume flow rate, including the size and shape of the area through which the fluid or gas is flowing, the viscosity of the fluid or gas, and the pressure and temperature of the system.

5. How can volume flow rate be measured?

Volume flow rate can be measured using various instruments, such as flow meters, which measure the amount of fluid or gas passing through a specific point, or pitot tubes, which measure the velocity of a fluid and use it to calculate the volume flow rate. It can also be calculated by measuring the change in volume over time using a container and a stopwatch.