Understanding Spin States in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the orientation of spin can be represented by the z direction, with spin-up and spin-down states denoted as |+⟩ and |−⟩ respectively. If we consider an arbitrary orientation (n), the new states can be written as |+_n⟩ and |-_n⟩. When the orientation is along the y direction (θ=π/2, ϕ=π/2), the spin-up and spin-down states are given by |\pm_y⟩ = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\left(\begin{matrix}1 \\ \pm i\end{matrix}\right). However, depending on the textbook, the spin-up/down states along the y direction can also be represented differently due to the
KFC
If we choose the z direction as the orientation of the spin, then spin-up (|+>) and spin-down (|->) could be written as

[tex]|+\rangle = \left(\begin{matrix}1 \\ 0\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]
[tex]|-\rangle = \left(\begin{matrix}0 \\ 1\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

From the textbook, if we consider aabritary orientation (n), the new state will be given

[tex]|+_n\rangle = \left(\begin{matrix}\cos(\theta/2) e^{-i\phi/2} \\ \sin(\theta/2) e^{i\phi/2}\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

[tex]|-_n\rangle = \left(\begin{matrix}-\sin(\theta/2) e^{-i\phi/2} \\ \cos(\theta/2) e^{i\phi/2}\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

Now, consider the orientation along y direction such that [tex]\theta=\pi/2, \phi=\pi/2[/tex], it will gives the spin-up and spin-down along y direction. However, in some other textbooks, the spin-up/down along y direction is

[tex]|\pm_y\rangle = \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\left(\begin{matrix}1 \\ \pm i\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

But I cannot get this state if I start from [tex]\theta=\pi/2, \phi=\pi/2[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
How are the angles defined?

Sorry! I found what's going on now. Since the phase factor doesn't matter in QM, hence, it gives the same state by pulling the phase factor out. Sorry for bothering.

1. What is spin in an arbitrary direction?

Spin in an arbitrary direction refers to the angular momentum of a particle or object that is not restricted to a specific axis or direction. It is a property of quantum particles and can be described by the spin quantum number.

2. How does spin in an arbitrary direction differ from spin in a specific direction?

The concept of spin in a specific direction, also known as spin projection, refers to the measurement of a particle's spin along a particular axis. In contrast, spin in an arbitrary direction considers the spin of a particle in any direction and takes into account all possible spin projections.

3. Can spin in an arbitrary direction be observed or measured?

No, spin in an arbitrary direction is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics and cannot be directly observed or measured. However, the effects of spin can be observed through experiments and measurements of other properties such as magnetic moment.

4. What is the significance of spin in an arbitrary direction in quantum mechanics?

Spin in an arbitrary direction is a fundamental property of quantum particles and plays a crucial role in various phenomena such as atomic and molecular structure, magnetism, and quantum entanglement. It also has important applications in technologies such as nuclear magnetic resonance and quantum computing.

5. Can spin in an arbitrary direction change?

In quantum mechanics, the principle of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant. Therefore, spin in an arbitrary direction cannot change unless an external force or interaction is applied to the system, causing a change in its angular momentum.