Getting into physics grad school

In summary, the physics grad school admissions process is different from undergraduate admissions as it is decided by the physics department and not a university-wide admissions department. There are typically more applicants than spots available and the department uses a yield ratio to determine how many students to admit. The American Institute of Physics is a helpful resource for information on graduate schools, but their data may not always be accurate. The department invests a lot of effort into educating graduate students and therefore is selective in their admissions process.
Vanadium 50 said:
Same as anyone else does. You want an apartment, you sign a lease. You want food or an airline ticket, you buy it. If you standard of living doesn't let you travel as much as you would like, you give something else up or do without.

Based on this and the "transfer because I might not get student housing" thread, I have to say that you are not prepared for graduate school. Maybe academically you are, but there is more to being a successful grad student than academics, for example, living on your own.

I hear that education "fee" is compensated for giving back to the grad school (TAing etc...), but will you be able to earn a living? That's what i am worried about.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can look up how much grad students get there, and then do the math whether it's enough for you to get by or not.

With 200$ a month you can eat like a king if you cook your own stuff. That ramen thing is for lazy people. Housing shouldn't be more than 600-700. Most grad school stipends are 2000$/month. You can save enough money to buy a second hand car in a few months. I never got the whole "grad students are so poor thing".

negru said:
With 200$ a month you can eat like a king if you cook your own stuff. That ramen thing is for lazy people.

Yes but eating ramen for a month will likely only cost you $5!

Will having completed a MS in Physics increase my chances?

In general, you have to get into grad school to get an MS. (An MS is a graduate degree)

In general, you have to get into grad school to get an MS. (An MS is a graduate degree)

Well obviously. I've been admitted to the physics masters program at my current university, however, I intend on getting into a Phd program upon completion.

So, will having completed a Masters program in physics make me a better candidate for admittance into a Phd program?

Wait something in this thread bothers me, you said that it is best to have professors who know you well to write you letters. Does that mean people who started out in community colleges have a disadvantage over people who are enrolled in a university?

Yes, because that's how it works in life. How well people know you is a linear function going through the origin of when they first came into contact with you, and there are absolutely no exceptions. Hence, if someone has spent four years at a university, all professors will know him twice as good as someone who spent two years at a community college and then, say, two years at the university. It doesn't matter if that first person has only appeared once in class, and that second person has done research for two years straight, all that matters is years spent at the university. So I guess if you went to community college, you're pretty much doomed. Sorry, bro.

About GPA:

So if you have B+/Bs in tons of biology classes that drag your GPA to a 3.2, but you have As in your physics classes and you apply to physics grad school (with some minor interest in biophysics), would they care about your overall GPA and bio classes, or would they focus more on the physics classes?

Also, I think lower division classes were addressed somewhere, but if you get B+s in those classes, would that be harmful?

DrWillVKN said:
So if you have B+/Bs in tons of biology classes that drag your GPA to a 3.2, but you have As in your physics classes and you apply to physics grad school (with some minor interest in biophysics), would they care about your overall GPA and bio classes, or would they focus more on the physics classes?

In general physics graduate courses focus on the physics classes. Also the *type* of class that you took is more important than the grade. If you are getting B's in Advanced Quantum Field Theory that looks better than getting A+ in Consumer Mathematics.

Also, I think lower division classes were addressed somewhere, but if you get B+s in those classes, would that be harmful?

It's a little worse than if you got A's, but it's a moderate strike, and not something that you should obsess over (especially since you can do anything about it).

Ryker said:
Yes, because that's how it works in life. How well people know you is a linear function going through the origin of when they first came into contact with you, and there are absolutely no exceptions. Hence, if someone has spent four years at a university, all professors will know him twice as good as someone who spent two years at a community college and then, say, two years at the university. It doesn't matter if that first person has only appeared once in class, and that second person has done research for two years straight, all that matters is years spent at the university. So I guess if you went to community college, you're pretty much doomed. Sorry, bro.

How can that be? Some people go to community college because of financial problems. There's got to be a way around that, that's almost like saying poor people will never succeed.

I think Ryker was making an attempt at sarcasm. :wink:

Ryker said:

I'm pretty sure you're being facetious here but just in case: no, that's not so.

Lots of people who attended community college still get into grad school. You don't have to attend a school for four years to get to get a good recommendation from a professor.

lisab said:
I'm pretty sure you're being facetious here but just in case: no, that's not so.

Lots of people who attended community college still get into grad school. You don't have to attend a school for four years to get to get a good recommendation from a professor.

No, but I am asking if they will have a disadvantage. Or is there no difference to professors because all first and second year students are just paychecks to them?

twofish-quant said:
\On the other hand, the difference between a 3.7 and 3.8 is pretty much irrelevant. The reason for this is that schools are different enough so that it's pretty much impossible to compare a 3.7 and 3.8, but if you have a 2.9, then you really did mess up somewhere along the line.

What if I had a 3.64 physics and 3.9 applied math gpa? Is the difference between that and a 3.7-3.8 gpa also irrelevant? I still haven't heard back from a couple grad schools and I really hope that my not-so-great physics gpa is what ultimately denies my admission

Flyingpig, I need to say this again. You need to stop worrying about things beyond your control and start boning up on your physics.

Your knowledge of physics is nowhere near where it needs to be to consider graduate school. You need to be studying that, not wasting your time asking "what if" questions here. Hit the books, or fess up to not being serious.

<h2>1. What is the typical application process for physics grad school?</h2><p>The application process for physics grad school usually involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some schools may also require a writing sample or additional materials. It is important to carefully review the requirements for each school you are applying to.</p><h2>2. What are the most important factors in being accepted into a physics grad program?</h2><p>The most important factors in being accepted into a physics grad program are typically a strong academic background, research experience, letters of recommendation, and a compelling personal statement. Standardized test scores and extracurricular activities may also be considered.</p><h2>3. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree in order to apply for physics grad school?</h2><p>No, it is not necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree in order to apply for physics grad school. However, most programs do require applicants to have completed certain prerequisite courses in physics, mathematics, and other related subjects. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program you are interested in.</p><h2>4. Can I apply to multiple physics grad programs at once?</h2><p>Yes, you can apply to multiple physics grad programs at once. In fact, it is recommended to apply to several programs in order to increase your chances of acceptance. Just be sure to carefully consider the requirements and fit of each program before submitting your applications.</p><h2>5. Are there any tips for standing out in the application process for physics grad school?</h2><p>Some tips for standing out in the application process for physics grad school include having a strong academic record, gaining research experience, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, and writing a compelling personal statement. It can also be helpful to tailor your application to each specific program and highlight any unique experiences or skills you have that make you a strong candidate.</p>

1. What is the typical application process for physics grad school?

The application process for physics grad school usually involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some schools may also require a writing sample or additional materials. It is important to carefully review the requirements for each school you are applying to.

2. What are the most important factors in being accepted into a physics grad program?

The most important factors in being accepted into a physics grad program are typically a strong academic background, research experience, letters of recommendation, and a compelling personal statement. Standardized test scores and extracurricular activities may also be considered.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree in order to apply for physics grad school?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree in order to apply for physics grad school. However, most programs do require applicants to have completed certain prerequisite courses in physics, mathematics, and other related subjects. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program you are interested in.

4. Can I apply to multiple physics grad programs at once?

Yes, you can apply to multiple physics grad programs at once. In fact, it is recommended to apply to several programs in order to increase your chances of acceptance. Just be sure to carefully consider the requirements and fit of each program before submitting your applications.

5. Are there any tips for standing out in the application process for physics grad school?

Some tips for standing out in the application process for physics grad school include having a strong academic record, gaining research experience, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, and writing a compelling personal statement. It can also be helpful to tailor your application to each specific program and highlight any unique experiences or skills you have that make you a strong candidate.