Re-writting an Equation

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation was about simplifying an equation and writing it in the form of f(x)=1+R(x). The steps to achieve this were discussed, including substituting given parameters, simplifying using properties of binomial coefficients, and adding the remaining terms to get the desired form. The final simplified form of the equation is f(x)=1.
EngWiPy

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have the following equation:

[tex]f(x)=\sum_{r=m}^{M_B}\,\sum_{i=0}^{M_B-r}\,\sum_{j=0}^{r+i}\,\sum_{k=0}^{j(N_B-1)}(-1)^{i+j}{M_B\choose r}{M_B-r\choose i}{r+i\choose j}\left(\frac{x}{C}\right)^k\,e^{jx/C}[/tex]

and I want to write it in the form of [tex]f(x)=1+R(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]m[/tex] will be any number from 1 up to [tex]M_B[/tex], and [tex]f(x)=1-e^{x/C}[/tex] for [tex]M_B=N_B=1[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to extract the following parameters to have the 1 value:

[tex]r=M_B, i=0, j=0, k=0[/tex]

but after that I don't know what to do by the indices. It does not seem straightforward as one can see.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your equation. It looks like you are trying to simplify the equation using the given parameters and write it in the form of f(x)=1+R(x). Here are some steps you can follow to achieve this:

1. Start by substituting the given values for r, i, j, and k into the equation:

f(x)=\sum_{r=M_B}^{M_B}\,\sum_{i=0}^{0}\,\sum_{j=0}^{0}\,\sum_{k=0}^{0(N_B-1)}(-1)^{0+0}{M_B\choose M_B}{M_B-M_B\choose 0}{M_B+0\choose 0}\left(\frac{x}{C}\right)^0\,e^{0x/C}

2. Simplify each term in the equation using the properties of binomial coefficients and the fact that any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1.

f(x)=1\cdot 1 \cdot 1 \cdot e^0 = 1

3. The final step is to add the remaining terms in the original equation (1+R(x)) to the simplified term (1) to get the desired form of f(x)=1+R(x). Therefore, R(x) = f(x) - 1 = 1 - 1 = 0.

In conclusion, the simplified form of the equation is f(x)=1+0, or simply f(x)=1.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the purpose of rewriting an equation?

Rewriting an equation is typically done to simplify or clarify the expression. It can also be used to solve a specific variable or to make the equation more applicable to a particular situation.

2. Can an equation be rewritten in multiple ways?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to rewrite an equation. This can depend on the form of the original equation or the specific end goal of the rewrite.

3. How do you know if you have properly rewritten an equation?

One way to check if an equation has been properly rewritten is to plug in values for the variables and see if the resulting expressions are equivalent. Additionally, the rewritten equation should still accurately represent the relationship between the variables.

4. Are there rules or guidelines to follow when rewriting an equation?

Yes, there are various rules and guidelines to follow when rewriting an equation, such as the order of operations and maintaining equality between both sides of the equation.

5. Can an equation be rewritten to have multiple or no solutions?

Yes, depending on how an equation is rewritten, it is possible for it to have multiple solutions, no solutions, or even an infinite number of solutions. This can occur when certain operations are performed that change the original equation's solutions.