Choosing a Major: Advice Needed

• Thread starter llauren84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation is discussing the dilemma of choosing a major among options such as math with computer science, CS with math, engineering with a Computer Engineering Specialization, physics with a math minor, and pure mathematics. The individual is conflicted between choosing a major that is easy and will allow them to make the dean's list, and one that interests them and has potential for a high salary. They seek advice on which path to take and consider taking a general first year science or engineering program to keep their options open. They also discuss the relation between computer engineering and computer science degrees and the difficulty level of math courses.
llauren84
I am so confused over which major to pick. The ones I have on my mind are as follows:

1. math with computer science
2. CS with math
3. engineering with a Computer Engineering Specialization
4. physics with a math minor
5. pure mathematics

The problem is that math is so easy, so I am tempted to just major in it just to make the deans list, etc. Then, I could apply to med school and make lots of money =) #3 includes a bunch of physics which I found difficult but interesting (I only took the first semester of general physics and wasn't ever exposed to physics before- could that be why I found it difficult?). I took C++ class and it was so fun. I actually liked doing my lab work. However, I think that it was only fun because it was so simple and I kept getting really good grades, and I like good grades...or possibly because my professor was funny. I heard that computer engineering deals with robotics if you want to go that way and that really interests me. I've never even taken an engineering class before...so that is totally new to me. Should I delve into the engineering path because it intrigues me? Pure mathematics also sounds like fun because you can work on new ideas, which is fascinating. I am so confused. All of these subjects really interest me. Is there anyone that can give some advice? Keep in mind that salaries are also important to me. I really want to make a lot of money. I know it sounds shallow, but this is a factor in my decision. I will be working hard towards whichever I set my focus on and like rewards.

Thanks so much for your advice =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to throw it out there: university level 'anything' can be a completely different league from high school. Just because you find math easy now, doesn't mean that it will continue to be a high marks trump card all the way through.

It sounds to me like the best option for you would be to take a general first year science or engineering program. Take courses that will keep all of those options open and then decide on a stream in your second or third year. As you advance, you can specialize more.

llauren84 said:
I am so confused over which major to pick. The ones I have on my mind are as follows:

1. math with computer science
2. CS with math
3. engineering with a Computer Engineering Specialization
4. physics with a math minor
5. pure mathematics

The problem is that math is so easy, so I am tempted to just major in it just to make the deans list, etc. Then, I could apply to med school and make lots of money =) #3 includes a bunch of physics which I found difficult but interesting (I only took the first semester of general physics and wasn't ever exposed to physics before- could that be why I found it difficult?). I took C++ class and it was so fun. I actually liked doing my lab work. However, I think that it was only fun because it was so simple and I kept getting really good grades, and I like good grades...or possibly because my professor was funny. I heard that computer engineering deals with robotics if you want to go that way and that really interests me. I've never even taken an engineering class before...so that is totally new to me. Should I delve into the engineering path because it intrigues me? Pure mathematics also sounds like fun because you can work on new ideas, which is fascinating. I am so confused. All of these subjects really interest me. Is there anyone that can give some advice? Keep in mind that salaries are also important to me. I really want to make a lot of money. I know it sounds shallow, but this is a factor in my decision. I will be working hard towards whichever I set my focus on and like rewards.

Thanks so much for your advice =)

If you find math "easy" (although as Chopper said, i'd reasonably expect that to change very much) and you have a strong interest in application then major in Applied Math and take as many phys and engineering(if eng will let you do that, much to my chagrin, they wouldn't let me in undergrad) courses as you can.

I've taken a few 200 level math courses and found them easy too, so I don't know if you mean that they get harder in the 300 and 400 level.

My school's engineering major doesn't let me take many electives. I can only take a few and choose to take general biology and chemistry and orgo so that I can leave the option for medical, should I like to go that way in the future.

Also, I was looking at a few jobs that are available and they accept people for several occupations with both computer engineering and computer science degrees. How close are these two related and how are they so different that they require such different courses?

llauren84 said:
I've taken a few 200 level math courses and found them easy too, so I don't know if you mean that they get harder in the 300 and 400 level.

My school's engineering major doesn't let me take many electives. I can only take a few and choose to take general biology and chemistry and orgo so that I can leave the option for medical, should I like to go that way in the future.

Also, I was looking at a few jobs that are available and they accept people for several occupations with both computer engineering and computer science degrees. How close are these two related and how are they so different that they require such different courses?

You're already in engineering? Don't take engineering math courses if you want to do something other then engineering. They're pretty worthless. Try to take the equivalent applied math or pure math course.

maverick_starstrider said:
You're already in engineering?
No, I just meant that it wouldn't let me have many electives if I do decide on that major. I chose physics as my major and that's what it is now, but I am considering a change. I won't decide until after the fall semester, though. I just want other people's opinions/experiences/advice.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and career goals. Think about what subjects you enjoy studying and what careers align with those interests. You should also consider the job market and potential salary for your chosen major.

2. Can I change my major later on?

Yes, it is common for students to change their major during their college years. However, it is important to carefully consider your decision and make sure you are making the right choice for your future goals.

3. How do I know which major is right for me?

It can be difficult to know which major is right for you, but there are a few things you can do to help make your decision. Take courses in different subjects to see what interests you the most. You can also speak with your academic advisor, career services center, and current students in different majors for advice.

4. Will my major determine my career path?

Your major does not necessarily determine your career path. Many students pursue careers that are not directly related to their major. However, your major can provide you with a strong foundation and the necessary skills for a particular career.

5. What if I am interested in multiple majors?

If you are interested in multiple majors, you can consider pursuing a double major or a minor. You can also take classes in both areas and see which one you enjoy more before making a decision. Keep in mind that some majors may require more credits and may take longer to complete.