Fermions in bound states and their wavefunctions

In summary: The symmetry of the spin-0 state is because the total spin is that of a boson. Parity (-1)^L doesn't apply because the total spin is not an odd number.
ZombieCat
Hello all,

This may be my very first post on Physics Forums. I am a 1st year physics grad student and need some help on something that's been bugging me. Suppose we have two spin half particles in a bound state. The total spin will either be 0 or 1. The spin 0 state, for example, would be symmetric (even parity right?) so it would need an antisymmetric spatial wavefunction to make the overall wavefunction antisymmetric since we have fermions? But then I thought the overall wavefunction may be symmetric because the total spin is that of a boson?

Rephrased, my question is this: would the total wavefunction have to be antisymmetric since we are dealing with fermions, or would it be symmetric since the total spin is that of a boson?
Which is it and why?

If we came along and didn't know that there were two fermions in there would we think it was a boson?

Does the fermions being in a bound state matter? What about the shape of the potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello ZombieCat! Welcome to PF! :smile:
ZombieCat said:
Hello all,

This may be my very first post on Physics Forums.

uhhh? :confused: did you use to be Schrodinger's cat? :biggrin:
… Rephrased, my question is this: would the total wavefunction have to be antisymmetric since we are dealing with fermions, or would it be symmetric since the total spin is that of a boson?
Which is it and why?

If we came along and didn't know that there were two fermions in there would we think it was a boson?

It's symmetric because it is a boson …

a bound state of an even number of fermions is a boson.

That's why mesons are bosons, but protons and neutrons are fermions … they're two quarks and three quarks respectively! :wink:

ZombieCat said:
Suppose we have two spin half particles in a bound state. The total spin will either be 0 or 1. The spin 0 state, for example, would be symmetric (even parity right?)
Sorry, wrong. The spin-0 state is antisymmetric, and the spin-1 state is symmetric.

Haha! I guess this zombie cat USED to be Schrodinger's cat, but is now the quantum mechanically undead. Thanks Tiny Tim!

As for the symmetry of the spin-0 state, (ud-du)/sqrt(2), I understand that the spins are opposed to make this happen and this state should be antisymmetric... I guess I'm getting confused about the difference between symmetry and parity, (-1)^L. Does this not apply here? Why not?

1. What are fermions?

Fermions are a type of subatomic particle that make up matter. They have half-integer spin and follow the Pauli exclusion principle, meaning that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

2. What are bound states?

Bound states are states in which a particle is confined to a specific region due to the presence of a potential barrier. In the context of fermions, bound states typically refer to electrons bound to an atomic nucleus in an atom.

3. How do we describe fermions in bound states?

Fermions in bound states are typically described using wavefunctions, which are mathematical functions that describe the probability of finding a particle in a specific location. These wavefunctions are solutions to the Schrödinger equation.

4. What is the significance of wavefunctions in studying fermions in bound states?

Wavefunctions are essential for understanding the behavior and properties of fermions in bound states. They provide information about the particle's energy, position, and momentum, and can be used to calculate various observable quantities such as the particle's probability of being in a certain location.

5. How do wavefunctions change for fermions in different bound states?

Wavefunctions for fermions in different bound states have different shapes and energies, reflecting the varying potentials that the particles are subject to. For example, the wavefunction for an electron in a hydrogen atom will be different from that of an electron in a helium atom due to the different charges and distances of the nuclei.