Calculation max load on a scissor jack lifting a car

In summary, the homework statement is to determine the max load a scissor jack must support when lifting a 6000lb car. The Attempt at a Solution tries to find the max force at each location by taking the moments about one of the tires, but finds that he is doing something wrong. The attached diagram shows the geometry of the car. The jack points are 2ft behind or in front of the nearest wheel, and the car's center of mass is 4ft behind the front wheels and 8ft in front of the back wheels. Case 1 (leaning on the back wheels) and Case 2 (leaning on the side wheels) have the same max force.
vpatel28

Homework Statement

I have to determine the max load a scissor jack must support when lifting a 6000lb car. I know where the center of gravity is acting and the potential locations (distances from the center of gravity) the car will be jacked up. I know the max force is less than 6000 lb.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking the moments about one of the tires and setting them equal to zero to solve for the max force at each location, but I know I'm doing something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi vpatel28! Welcome to PF! :wink:
vpatel28 said:
… I tried taking the moments about one of the tires and setting them equal to zero to solve for the max force at each location, but I know I'm doing something wrong.

That should work :smile:

show us what you got!​

I've attached a diagram of the geometry of the car. The more I think about the problem, I feel like I need to know which two tires the car will lean on for each case. Inspection tells me that it will lean on the two side tires for both cases.

Do I want to take the moment about one of the tires that car is leaning on? If I do that I get the following:

Case 1 - Lean on Back wheels
(6000)(8 ft) + -F(10) = 0
F= 4800 lb

Case 2 - Lean on Side Wheels
(-6000)(3) + (F)(6) = 0
F = 3000 lb

I'd appreciate any help in directing me in the right direction

vpatel28 said:
I've attached a diagram of the geometry of the car.

erm :redface: … noooo! :rolleyes:
Do I want to take the moment about one of the tires that car is leaning on? If I do that I get the following:

F= 4800 lb

(-6000)(3) + (F)(6) = 0
F = 3000 lb

Difficult to be sure without seeing a diagram,

but that certainly looks ok! :smile:

Sorry about that. Here is the attachment with the diagram

Attachments

• Scissor Jack.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 3,103
vpatel28 said:
I've attached a diagram of the geometry of the car. The more I think about the problem, I feel like I need to know which two tires the car will lean on for each case. Inspection tells me that it will lean on the two side tires for both cases.

ok, from the diagram the wheels are 12 ft apart front-to-back, and 6 ft apart side-to-side.

The jack points are 2ft behind or in front of the nearest wheel.

The c.o.m. is 4ft behind the front wheels and 8ft in front of the back wheels.
F= 4800 lb

(-6000)(3) + (F)(6) = 0
F = 3000 lb

Yes, those equations are fine, except that in case 1, if the c.o.m. is nearer the front, won't the car overbalance onto the side?

If the the car leans on the side wheels for both cases then isn't the max force the same in both cases?

vpatel28 said:
If the the car leans on the side wheels for both cases …

It doesn't … it leans on the front wheels for a back jacking point, and on the side wheels for a front jacking point …

can you prove that? :wink:

1. What is the maximum weight that a scissor jack can lift?

The maximum weight that a scissor jack can lift depends on its size and design. However, on average, a scissor jack can lift up to 1.5 tons or 3,000 pounds.

2. How do I calculate the max load on a scissor jack for lifting a car?

To calculate the maximum load that a scissor jack can handle when lifting a car, you need to know the weight of the car and the weight capacity of the jack. Divide the weight of the car by the weight capacity of the jack to get the maximum load.

3. Can a scissor jack safely lift a heavy car?

Scissor jacks are designed to safely lift cars that weigh up to 1.5 tons. However, it is important to always check the weight capacity of the jack and the weight of the car before attempting to lift it.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a scissor jack to lift a car?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a scissor jack. Make sure to place the jack on a flat surface and use jack stands for extra support. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and never exceed the weight capacity of the jack.

5. Can a scissor jack be used to lift other objects besides cars?

Yes, scissor jacks can be used to lift other objects as long as they do not exceed the weight capacity of the jack. However, it is important to note that scissor jacks are specifically designed for lifting cars and may not be suitable for other types of objects.