Find components of vector C from vectors A and B

In summary, to find the vector components of vector C, which lies in the xy-plane and is perpendicular to vector A, with a scalar product of 15 with vector B, we use the equations A•C = 0 and B•C = 15. By substituting Cj from the first equation into the second and solving for Ci, we get the correct answer of Cx = 8.0 and Cy = 6.1.
casemeister06

Homework Statement

Given vectors [tex]\vec{A} = 5.0\hat{i} - 6.5\hat{j}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{B} = -3.5\hat{i}= 7.0\hat{j}[/tex]. Vector [tex]\vec{C}[/tex] lies in the xy-plane. Vector [tex]\vec{C}[/tex] is perpendicular to [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] and the scalar product of [tex]\vec{C}[/tex] with [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] is 15.0. Find the vector components of [tex]\vec{C}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{A}{\cdot}\vec{C} = 0 [/tex]
[tex]\vec{B}{\cdot}\vec{C} = 15 [/tex]

[tex]\vec{B}{\cdot}\vec{C}=B_{i}C_{i}+B_{j}C_{j}=15 [/tex]
[tex]\vec{B}{\cdot}\vec{C}=-3.5C_{i}+7.0C_{j}=15[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}{\cdot}\vec{C}=A_{i}C_{i}+A_{j}C_{j}=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the vectors A and C are perpendicular
[tex]\vec{A}{\cdot}\vec{C} = 0 [/tex]
Then,
[tex]\vec{A}{\cdot}\vec{C}=A_{i}C_{i}+A_{j}C_{j}=0[/tex]
[tex]\vec{A}{\cdot}\vec{C}=5.0_{i}C_{i}-6.5_{j}C_{j}=0[/tex]
[tex]C_{j}=\frac{5.0_{i}C{i}}{6.5}[/tex]

Plug in [tex]C_{j}[/tex] into the other scalar equation and solve for [tex]C_{i}[/tex]. Basic substitution. However I keep getting the wrong answer. Am I approaching the problem incorrectly or is my algebra wrong?

The correct answer is [tex]C_{x} = 8.0[/tex] and [tex]C_{y} = 6.1[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi casemeister06, welcome to PF.
-3.5Ci + 7Cj = 15...(1)
5.0Ci - 6.5Cj = 0...(2)
Multiply by 0.7 to eq. (2) and add it to eq.(1) and solve for Cj.

Yeah, I don't know what I was doing, but I got it right now. I think I was messing up on my algebra or something. Thanks for the help.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How can I find the components of a vector?

To find the components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be used to find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector, also known as the x and y components.

3. What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector. They represent the magnitude of the vector in the x and y directions. The x component is typically denoted as Vx and the y component is denoted as Vy.

4. Can I find the components of a vector using other vectors?

Yes, it is possible to find the components of a vector using other vectors. This can be done using vector addition and subtraction, as well as using trigonometric functions to find the angles and magnitudes of the vectors.

5. Why is it important to find the components of a vector?

Finding the components of a vector is important because it allows us to break down a vector into its individual parts. This can help us understand the direction and magnitude of the vector, as well as how it contributes to a larger system. It is also an important concept in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering.