Metal Detector Thwarter: An Engineering Perspective on Foiling Security Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a small box with one wall that can receive and transmit signals to fool metal detectors in airports and other security areas. The idea is questioned from an engineering perspective, considering the lag time in processing and transmitting the signal. However, the topic of the conversation, using such a device, is deemed immoral and the conversation is locked.
SELFMADE
I am first year EE student so forgive me if there is huge lack of knowledge. While reading ahead in my physics book I found out that metal detectors in airports, courts etc are basically transmitters and receivers. If metal gets in between the detector sets off the alarm.

What if then, there is a small box with one wall that can receive the signal and other that can transmit it to the detector's receiver? One which a perpetrator can strap on inside of his thigh for example.

Theoretically, this thwarter box can fool the detector is it?

I imagine the electricmagnetic field between the detector is almost instanteneous, meaning if any metal gets in between alarm is set off instanteneously. I further imagine that there will be lag time in the thwarther box to process the signal and transmit it. So does it make the idea unworkable from the inception?

Please no talk about how IMMORAL this thwarter box is. Talk only from engineering prespective please

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
SELFMADE said:
Please no talk about how IMMORAL this thwarter box is. Talk only from engineering prespective please

thanks
Sorry, we don't allow discussion of illegal activities, theoretical or not. Thread locked.

What is a metal detector thwarter?

A metal detector thwarter is a device that is used to prevent metal detectors from detecting metal objects. It can be in the form of a handheld device or a larger machine.

How does a metal detector thwarter work?

A metal detector thwarter works by emitting electromagnetic waves that interfere with the signals of metal detectors. This makes it difficult for the metal detector to accurately detect metal objects.

Who uses metal detector thwarters?

Metal detector thwarters are commonly used by security personnel in places like airports, schools, and government buildings. They are also used by treasure hunters and archaeologists to avoid interference from metal detectors.

Are metal detector thwarters legal?

In most cases, metal detector thwarters are legal to use as long as they are not used for illegal activities. However, it is important to check with local laws and regulations before using one.

Can a metal detector thwarter be detected?

It is possible for metal detector thwarters to be detected by other devices that can pick up on electromagnetic signals. However, they are designed to be subtle and difficult to detect, making them an effective tool for avoiding metal detection.