How many ways can two knights threaten each other on a chessboard?

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to finding the number of ways to place two knights on a chessboard that can threaten each other. The first approach involves finding the number of squares that each knight can threaten and then multiplying by two, but this is incorrect because it counts each possibility twice. The second approach involves counting the ways a knight can threaten each square and then adding them together, without multiplying by two. The final conclusion is that the solution provided in the conversation is correct except for the part where the number is multiplied by two.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Find the number of ways of placing two knights in a chessboard that they can threaten each other.

I tried to solve it like this but it was wrong because the answer was not among the four options.
I wrote the number of squares that that the knight can threaten on every square that we place it.Then multiplied the number of squares with the same number by the number in it.then calculated the sum of the results and multiplied it by two.But as I said it was wrong although I'm still sure its right.

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why are you multiplying by 2?

Well, for each square, find the number of ways a knight can threated the square. After you have counted the sum of ways for all squares, you realize you have counted each way twice. Divide the total number by 2, and there you go.

Tell us your way of solving the problem.

I thought like below:
I should at first find the number of ways that I can place a knight on the chess board then multiply it by the number of squares it threatens when placed in a square then multiply it by two because I can do that with picking the white knight first or the black knight first.But as you know the number of squares a knight can threaten differs in differente areas of board.so I found the ways for each square seperatly.And the rest is obvious.And I don't think any thing is counted twice hear!Could you explain more?
thanks

Shyan said:
And I don't think any thing is counted twice hear!Could you explain more?
thanks

Consider a chess board with only two squares such that a knight on one threatens the other. The count is two: both squares threaten one other square. But there's only one configuration where the knights attack each other: the configuration where both knights are on the only two squares.

CRGreathouse said:
Consider a chess board with only two squares such that a knight on one threatens the other. The count is two: both squares threaten one other square. But there's only one configuration where the knights attack each other: the configuration where both knights are on the only two squares.
No, the knights have to be of opposite colours or they don't attack each other.

There was a slight confusion here. I assumed that color was irrelevant and any two knights were opponents. If you start out with a black knight, and for each square count the ways it can be threatened by a white knight you have counted all possibilities. There is no need in this case, as far as I can see, to multiply or divide by 2.

Agreed.

So you people mean my solution is all right except the part I multiply the number by 2?

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that focuses on counting and arranging objects or events in a systematic way.

2. What are the applications of combinatorics?

Combinatorics has a wide range of applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, physics, and biology. It is used to solve problems in optimization, cryptography, network analysis, and genetics, among others.

3. What are the basic principles of combinatorics?

The basic principles of combinatorics include permutation, combination, and the multiplication and addition principles. These principles are used to count the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario.

4. How is combinatorics related to probability?

Combinatorics and probability are closely related as combinatorial methods are often used to calculate the probability of events. Combinatorics helps in determining the total number of possible outcomes, which is essential in calculating probabilities.

5. What are some common types of combinatorial problems?

Some common types of combinatorial problems include counting problems, optimization problems, graph theory problems, and recurrence relation problems. These types of problems can vary in complexity and are used to solve real-world problems in different fields.