Newton's Law of Cooling and ambient temperature

In summary, the formula T(t)=T_{0}+(T_{i}-T_{0})e^{kt} is the solution of the differential equation \frac{dT}{dt}=-k(T-T_0) where T0 is the ambient temperature. If the ambient temperature is a function of time, then it can be substituted into the differential equation to solve for the temperature at a certain time.
Fancy Moses
I'm somewhat familiar with the formula:

[tex]
T(t)=T_{0}+(T_{i}-T_{0})e^{kt}
[/tex]

However, what if the ambient temperature is not constant? How would one find the temperature of an object with an ambient temperature that ramps from A to B (steady ramp let's say)?

I'm honestly not sure how to solve for a certain time if the temperature is changing...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
To begin with, your exponential must be exp(-kt), otherwise it will blow up as time increases. I am sure this was a typo. Now for the big question. Where did the equation that you posted come from? Answer: It is the solution of the differential equation

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt}=-k(T-T_0)[/tex]

where T0 is the (constant) ambient temperature. If the ambient temperature is not constant but a function of time f(t), then you replace T0 with f(t) in the above differential equation and solve it (if you can).

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which an object cools in a surrounding environment with a different temperature.

2. What is the relationship between Newton's Law of Cooling and ambient temperature?

The law states that the rate of cooling of an object is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surrounding environment, which is known as the ambient temperature.

3. How does ambient temperature affect the cooling rate of an object?

Ambient temperature plays a crucial role in determining the cooling rate of an object. The larger the difference between the object's temperature and ambient temperature, the faster the object will cool. The smaller the difference, the slower the cooling rate.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of Newton's Law of Cooling?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of Newton's Law of Cooling, such as the material and shape of the object, the airflow in the surrounding environment, and the initial temperature of the object.

5. Can Newton's Law of Cooling be applied to any cooling process?

No, Newton's Law of Cooling is only applicable to cooling processes where the ambient temperature remains constant. It also assumes that the object being cooled has a uniform temperature throughout and is not undergoing any phase changes.