Modeling Sandwich Composites in Workbench: Non-Penalty Based Contact?

In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on how to accurately model sandwich composites in workbench. They have tried modeling the core material as an orthogonal material type with solid tet elements and the aluminum face sheets as isotropic shell elements, using data from the honeycomb manufacturer for stiffness. While they have achieved accurate stress results compared to hand calculations, their deflections are incorrect. They are also experiencing penetration between the face sheet and core material and are unsure if non-penalty based contact elements should be used. The speaker is open to advice and mentions they are getting better at APDL. Another person suggests using coupling elements instead of contact elements for better results.
BlkHwkEng
When I model a honeycomb type composite in workbench I tired modeling the core material as an orthogonal material type using solid tet elements and the aluminum face sheets as isotropic shell elements. I base the core material properties off of the honeycomb manufactures data for stiffness. using this approach I am able to get fairly accurate stress results when compared to hand calculations of the same simple problems (i.e. simple beam with distributed loading) but my deflections are completely wrong. I was hoping someone could give me insight on how to go about modeling sandwich composites in workbench...hopefully without paying another 50k for some type of composites modeler. Also I am getting a little better at APDL so if anyone wants to give advice based upon it I would be all ears.

Also I get tons of penetration between the face sheet and core material, should I use a non-penalty based contact or will this mess things up even more.

I hope this post makes sense...it is very late here and I am about to fall asleep on my keyboard.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Rather than using contact elements, perhaps you could try coupling them (CP)?

Way better results doing in like that. Thanks again minger

1. What is the purpose of modeling sandwich composites in Workbench?

The purpose of modeling sandwich composites in Workbench is to simulate how these materials behave under different loading and boundary conditions. This can help engineers and researchers understand the structural integrity and performance of sandwich composites, as well as optimize their designs for specific applications.

2. What is a non-penalty based contact in Workbench?

A non-penalty based contact in Workbench is a type of contact analysis that accounts for the deformation and interface behavior of two or more contacting bodies. Unlike traditional penalty-based contacts, which assume that there is no sliding or separation between the bodies, non-penalty based contacts allow for realistic contact behavior and can accurately simulate complex interactions between surfaces.

3. How does Workbench model sandwich composites?

Workbench uses the finite element method to model sandwich composites. This involves dividing the composite into small, discrete elements and solving for the stresses and deformations of each element. The software also has the capability to incorporate various material properties and failure criteria specific to sandwich composites, such as shear and delamination failure.

4. What are some common challenges when modeling sandwich composites in Workbench?

Some common challenges when modeling sandwich composites in Workbench include accurately representing the complex geometry and material properties of the composite, selecting appropriate element types and mesh sizes, and defining realistic contact behavior between the layers. It is important to carefully validate the model against experimental data and adjust parameters as needed to ensure accurate results.

5. What are the benefits of modeling sandwich composites in Workbench?

Modeling sandwich composites in Workbench allows for a more detailed and accurate analysis of these materials compared to traditional hand calculations or simplified models. This can help in the development of lightweight and high-performance composite structures, as well as in predicting failure modes and optimizing designs for specific applications. Additionally, Workbench offers a user-friendly interface and powerful simulation capabilities, making it a valuable tool for engineers and researchers working with sandwich composites.