Constant velocity object catching up to an accelerating object

In summary, the girl can run the slowest speed and still catch the train if she arrives at the point 6.4 seconds after the train has passed.
maccam912

Homework Statement

A train pulls away from a station with a constant acceleration of 0.41 m/s2. A passenger arrives at a point next to the track 6.4 s after the end of the train has passed the very same point. What is the slowest constant speed at which she can run and still catch the train?

Homework Equations

x = 1/2*a*t2
x = v*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the 0.41 m/s2 belongs in the first equation, and gives a graph of position of the end of the train vs time. The 6.4 seconds can be used in the second equation, turing it into x = v*(t-6.4) to graph the motion of the girl running to catch up to the train. I can find the derivative of the first equation to find the slope that the line of the second equation must match, but I always get strange results when I try to tell that line to also go through the point (6.4,0). All I need is the value of v in the second equation, but I always end up eliminating it or getting strange results when simplifying.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eliminate x from your two equations and solve for v(t). Find the minimum of this v(t) function.

ehild

I'm still having trouble. I eliminate x by setting the equations equal to each other: v*t = (1/2)*0.41*t2. Then I solve for V by dividing both sides by t, ending up with

[tex]v = \frac{(1/2)*0.41*t^{2}}{t}[/tex]

The t on the bottom cancels out 1 of the t's on the top. When I try to graph this equation, I end up with a straight line with a positive slope, and no minimum. Where did I go wrong here?

The time of the runner is 6.4 less than the time of the train. So you have v(t-6.4) = 1/2 *0.41*t^2.

ehild

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant variables and equations that describe the motion of the train and the girl. In this case, we have the train's constant acceleration (0.41 m/s2) and the time it takes for the girl to reach the point next to the track (6.4 seconds).

Using the equations x = 1/2*a*t2 and x = v*t, we can determine the position of the train at 6.4 seconds and the position of the girl at any given time t.

To find the slowest constant speed at which the girl can run and still catch the train, we need to find the point where the two positions are equal. This can be done by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for v.

1/2*a*t2 = v*t

Plugging in the values for a and t, we get:

1/2*0.41*(6.4)2 = v*(6.4)

Simplifying, we get:

v = 2.05 m/s

This is the slowest constant speed at which the girl can run and still catch the train. Any speed slower than this would result in the girl being unable to catch up to the train.

1. How can a constant velocity object catch up to an accelerating object?

A constant velocity object can catch up to an accelerating object if the velocity of the accelerating object is increasing at a slower rate than the velocity of the constant velocity object. This means that the constant velocity object will eventually reach and surpass the accelerating object's velocity.

2. What factors affect the ability of a constant velocity object to catch up to an accelerating object?

The main factor that affects the ability of a constant velocity object to catch up to an accelerating object is the rate at which the accelerating object's velocity is increasing. Other factors can include the initial distance between the two objects, the mass and size of the objects, and any external forces acting on the objects.

3. Can a constant velocity object ever catch up to an object with a higher initial velocity?

Yes, a constant velocity object can catch up to an object with a higher initial velocity if the rate of acceleration of the higher velocity object is lower than the constant velocity of the other object. In this case, the constant velocity object will eventually surpass the initial velocity of the other object.

4. How does the distance between the two objects change as the constant velocity object catches up to the accelerating object?

As the constant velocity object catches up to the accelerating object, the distance between the two objects will decrease. This is because the constant velocity object is covering more distance in the same amount of time as the accelerating object is increasing its velocity.

5. What happens if the constant velocity object and the accelerating object have the same initial velocity?

If the constant velocity object and the accelerating object have the same initial velocity, the constant velocity object will not be able to catch up to the accelerating object. This is because the accelerating object's velocity is increasing at a faster rate, and the distance between the two objects will continue to increase.