Polarized Light Reflection: Solving for Intensity

In summary, a person in a boat wearing vertical polarized sunglasses observes that sunlight reflected by the water is polarized parallel to the surface. If the person leans at an angle of 17.0 degrees to the vertical, the fraction of reflected light intensity that will pass through the sunglasses can be calculated using the equation I = I(initial)cos^2(theta). However, this may not always yield the correct answer and it is important to use common sense and intuition in addition to calculations.
mli273
1. A person riding in a boat observes that the sunlight reflected by the water is polarized parallel to the surface of the water. The person is wearing polarized sunglasses with the polarization axis vertical.

If the wearer leans at an angle of 17.0 degrees to the vertical, what fraction of the reflected light intensity will pass through the sunglasses?

2. I =I(initial)cos^2(theta)

3. I tried I/I(initial)=cos^2(17) which yielded .91 but that was not correct. What factor am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
mli273 said:
1. A person riding in a boat observes that the sunlight reflected by the water is polarized parallel to the surface of the water. The person is wearing polarized sunglasses with the polarization axis vertical.

If the wearer leans at an angle of 17.0 degrees to the vertical, what fraction of the reflected light intensity will pass through the sunglasses?

2. I =I(initial)cos^2(theta)

3. I tried I/I(initial)=cos^2(17) which yielded .91 but that was not correct. What factor am I missing here?

If the person is vertical, zero gets through, right?
If they lean just a leeeetle bit to the side, how much should get through?

9/10ths?

Intuitively, does that make sense? Intuitively, what does make sense?

that's true, I didn't think of it like that. So would it be 1-.915 which is .085. Thank you!

Never trust a calculator. Use and trust your common sense. The tool just gets you the decimals.

IMO, that's the one big lesson students need to learn.

I would like to first clarify that polarized light is a type of light where the electromagnetic waves vibrate in a single direction. This is in contrast to unpolarized light, where the waves vibrate in all directions. Polarized sunglasses are designed to block out the horizontally polarized light, which is typically the glare from surfaces such as water or road.

Now, to solve for the intensity of the reflected light passing through the polarized sunglasses, we need to use the equation provided in the content: I = I(initial)cos^2(theta). In this equation, I represents the intensity of the reflected light after passing through the sunglasses, I(initial) represents the initial intensity of the reflected light, and theta represents the angle between the polarization axis of the sunglasses and the direction of the reflected light.

In this scenario, the wearer is leaning at an angle of 17.0 degrees to the vertical, which means the angle between the polarization axis of the sunglasses and the direction of the reflected light is also 17.0 degrees. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as follows: I = I(initial)cos^2(17.0).

To solve for the fraction of the reflected light intensity that will pass through the sunglasses, we need to divide the intensity after passing through the sunglasses (I) by the initial intensity (I(initial)). This can be written as I/I(initial) = cos^2(17.0). Using a calculator, we can find that cos^2(17.0) is approximately 0.91, which means that 91% of the reflected light intensity will pass through the sunglasses.

In conclusion, the factor that was missing in your calculation was the angle between the polarization axis of the sunglasses and the direction of the reflected light. By including this angle in the equation, we can accurately solve for the fraction of the reflected light intensity that will pass through the polarized sunglasses.

What is polarized light reflection and why is it important?

Polarized light reflection refers to the phenomenon where light waves vibrate in a single plane instead of in all directions. This is important because it affects the intensity and quality of light that is reflected off of surfaces, and can have practical applications in various industries such as photography, microscopy, and optics.

How is the intensity of polarized light reflection calculated?

The intensity of polarized light reflection is calculated using the Malus' Law, which states that the intensity of polarized light reflected off of a surface is proportional to the square of the cosine of the angle between the incident and reflected light waves.

What factors can affect the intensity of polarized light reflection?

The intensity of polarized light reflection can be affected by the angle of incidence, the polarization direction of the incident light, the properties of the reflecting surface (such as its material and surface roughness), and the wavelength of the incident light.

How does polarized light reflection differ from unpolarized light reflection?

In unpolarized light reflection, the light waves vibrate in all directions, whereas in polarized light reflection, the light waves vibrate in a single plane. This results in differences in the intensity and quality of the reflected light, as well as the angle at which the light is reflected.

What are some real-world applications of polarized light reflection?

Polarized light reflection has many practical applications, such as in polarized sunglasses to reduce glare, in LCD screens to control the amount of light that passes through, in microscopy to enhance image contrast, and in 3D movies and photography to create the illusion of depth.