Physics undergrad/grad gap year: ideas?

In summary, a physics senior who struggled on the GRE is looking for a job that provides a scientific environment and leaves enough time to prepare for the qualifying exam. Many positions are available to working professionals that do not require a GRE.
pacifico
One of our college's physics seniors scored poorly on the physics subject GRE and is looking for something to do for a year while s/he studies for, and retakes this test. Our student would like to find an appropriate position at a lab (academic, industrial, government...) which provides enough of a scientific atmosphere to thrive (and present a stronger case to graduate admissions programs), allows him/her to earn a living, and leaves enough time to prepare for the physics subject test. Our own institution is not in a position to offer this type of opportunity at the moment. The student is willing to relocate.

Any thoughts about what type of jobs are available that would benefit our student? Is anyone aware of a job list/bulletin board for this type of employment? Other ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have trouble with the Physics GRE which is designed to be the lowest common denominator of typical undergrad courses, you're going to struggle with the qualifying exam once you're into graduate study... This route is going to be tough.

The student is likely going to have to job hunt like the other hundreds of physics graduates searching for regular employment. S/he should not go into it expecting 1-year contracts; employers have plenty of people to choose from these days. S/he should concentrate on making themselves look like the best candidate for whatever position.

Well in my case I had a 20 year 'gap' between undergrad and grad school MSSE JHU. As a physics undergrad I had no real idea what career I planned to pursue, and going to grad school right after undergrad didn't make sense. Why invest another 2 years in pursuit of say, an MSEE, only to go out, get a job and discover it wasn't for me? So got a job and tried this and that, settled into a field.

Most of my employers offered tuition reimbursement (something I should think many college grads would like given the huge expense of college and grad school...lots of debt at the start of a career would be worrying to some) and there are a huge number of universities that offer degree programs targeted at working professionals. Class work is geared towards real-world problems/projects, classes are offered at night usually, good networking opportunities, and many don't require GREs. I think I took GREs a few years after undergrad to go to Va Tech to start my MSEE. From an employment perspective an MS on your resume is an MS.

I understand the importance of gaining practical experience and developing a strong scientific background before pursuing graduate studies. In this situation, I would recommend that the student explore opportunities in a variety of settings, such as academic, industrial, and government labs, to gain hands-on experience and build a strong resume for graduate admissions programs.

One option could be to look for research assistant positions at universities or research institutions. These positions often involve assisting with ongoing research projects and can provide valuable experience in a lab setting. Another option could be to look for internships or co-op programs in the industry, which can offer a combination of practical experience and a living wage.

Additionally, the student could consider applying for positions at government agencies, such as the National Science Foundation or the Department of Energy, which often offer research opportunities for recent graduates. These positions can also provide valuable experience and networking opportunities.

In terms of finding job opportunities, the student can utilize job search websites and networking platforms, such as LinkedIn, to explore available positions. They can also reach out to their professors and other contacts in the field for potential leads and recommendations.

Other ideas could include volunteering at a science museum or participating in outreach programs to gain experience in science communication and education. The student could also consider attending conferences and workshops related to their field of interest to network and learn about potential opportunities.

In summary, there are various options available for the student to gain practical experience and strengthen their application for graduate programs. It is important for the student to actively seek out these opportunities and utilize resources such as job search websites and networking platforms to find the best fit for their goals and interests.

1. What are some good ideas for a gap year between undergraduate and graduate studies in physics?

Some good ideas for a gap year in physics could include participating in a research program or internship, working in a related industry, teaching or volunteering in a science-related field, traveling to attend conferences or workshops, or taking additional courses to strengthen your knowledge in a specific area.

2. How can I make the most of my gap year in terms of preparing for graduate studies in physics?

To make the most of your gap year, you can focus on gaining research experience, networking with professionals in the field, developing strong computer skills, and improving your communication and writing abilities. It's also important to stay updated on current research and advancements in your field of interest.

3. Is it necessary to take a gap year before pursuing a graduate degree in physics?

No, it is not necessary to take a gap year before pursuing a graduate degree in physics. Some students choose to go directly from their undergraduate studies to graduate school, while others take a gap year to gain experience and explore their interests before committing to a graduate program.

4. Can I work in a different field during my gap year and still be accepted into a physics graduate program?

Yes, it is possible to work in a different field during your gap year and still be accepted into a physics graduate program. Admissions committees are generally looking for well-rounded individuals with a strong passion for physics, so any experience that showcases your skills and interests can be beneficial.

5. How can I explain my gap year in my graduate school application?

You can explain your gap year in your graduate school application by highlighting the experiences and skills you gained during that time. This can include research projects, internships, work experience, or any other relevant activities. Be sure to also explain how your gap year has influenced your decision to pursue a graduate degree in physics.