Probability of socks selection

• Thread starter weibing86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation was about finding the probability of picking 2 socks of the same color and 2 socks of different colors out of a total of 6 pairs of socks (12 socks). The conversation included discussions about the sample space, appropriate subsets, and the use of probability axioms and formulas to solve the problem. The hyper-geometric distribution was mentioned as a possible method for solving the problem, and one participant provided a potential solution using the 6 colors a,b,c,d,e, and f. However, the accuracy of this solution is uncertain.
weibing86
I don't even know how to start this question:

I have 6 pairs of socks (12 socks) of different colors.

If I choose 4 socks randomly, what is the probability that I will pick 2 socks of same color, and the other 2 are different colors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there webing86 and welcome to the forums.

Have you made an attempt at answering the question? If so could you show whatever you've tried so that we can help you see what you understand, and that you have attempted the problem on your own (its the forum policy to do this).

In saying that, what have you identified as your sample space and the appropriate subset for any or all of the events? (ie probability of one sock any color, two socks same color, two socks same with one with other color, or all four socks)?

Its best to break up your probability space into its simplest events and then use probability axioms to figure out the total space of the event.

chiro said:
Hey there webing86 and welcome to the forums.

Have you made an attempt at answering the question? If so could you show whatever you've tried so that we can help you see what you understand, and that you have attempted the problem on your own (its the forum policy to do this).

In saying that, what have you identified as your sample space and the appropriate subset for any or all of the events? (ie probability of one sock any color, two socks same color, two socks same with one with other color, or all four socks)?

Its best to break up your probability space into its simplest events and then use probability axioms to figure out the total space of the event.

Hi,

I have tried to solve this by narrowing my sample size.

I used 3 pairs of socks (red, red), (blue, blue), and (yellow, yellow).

The combination of picking 2 socks of same or different colors will be 6 (rr, rb, ry, bb, by, yy). I can list out all the combinations as the sample size is small, but I just do not how to derive it using formula.
* If all the socks are of different colors, of course the combination will be 6C2.

weibing86 said:
Hi,

I have tried to solve this by narrowing my sample size.

I used 3 pairs of socks (red, red), (blue, blue), and (yellow, yellow).

The combination of picking 2 socks of same or different colors will be 6 (rr, rb, ry, bb, by, yy). I can list out all the combinations as the sample size is small, but I just do not how to derive it using formula.
* If all the socks are of different colors, of course the combination will be 6C2.

Its not a good idea to try and think of things in terms of formulas. Formulas can be useful if you have a system with some pretty common assumptions (i.e. there are a lot of real world phenomena that use these assumptions, so its handy to use that particular model), but its a lot better to use the foundational concepts and axioms of probability.

Having said that, there is a model known as the hyper-geometric distribution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_distribution

Your kind of problem looks like it can be solved using this kind of distribution. This distribution has a probability density function that is used to calculate probability given a total multivariate sample size (N categories of things - in your case sock colors) and from this you use the formula to get your probability.

If I were you I would try to find a derivation of the distribution and look at any assumptions that have been made to get to that result. Its probably a good idea to learn the binomial first and work your way up to the multivariate hyper-geometric distribution.

say the 6 colors are a,b,c,d,e and f.

then, the given cases will be:

aa-bc
aa-bd
aa-be
aa-bf
aa-cd
aa-ce
... and so on.

(1) 2 same color and 2 different colors : 6 * 5C2 = 6 * 10 = 60
(2) all the cases : 12C4 = 55x9

P = (1)/(2) = 60 / (55*9) = 4 / 33

I am not 100% sure though... :p

What is the "Probability of socks selection"?

The "Probability of socks selection" is a mathematical concept that calculates the likelihood of selecting a specific pair of socks from a collection of socks.

How is the "Probability of socks selection" calculated?

The "Probability of socks selection" is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes (selecting a specific pair of socks) by the total number of possible outcomes (total number of socks in the collection).

Does the color or type of socks affect the "Probability of socks selection"?

Yes, the color and type of socks can affect the "Probability of socks selection" if the collection of socks contains different colors and types. The more options available, the lower the probability of selecting a specific pair of socks.

Can the "Probability of socks selection" be greater than one?

No, the "Probability of socks selection" cannot be greater than one. The highest probability possible is 1, which represents a 100% chance of selecting a specific pair of socks.

How can the "Probability of socks selection" be used in real life?

The "Probability of socks selection" can be used in various situations, such as predicting the likelihood of finding a matching pair of socks in a drawer, or determining the chances of getting a specific pair of socks from a laundry basket. It can also be used in more complex scenarios, such as analyzing the likelihood of certain genetic traits being passed down in a family.