CO2 solubility in H2O at different temperature and pressure

In summary, the conversation is about finding information on the solubility of carbon dioxide in water at different temperatures and pressures for a project on carbon dioxide photocatalytic reduction. The speaker mentions trying to find data through textbooks and Google search, but has not been successful. They ask if anyone has information or access to a specific book that contains useful data. Another person suggests searching for International Critical Data Tables, which are published by Knovel and contain a wealth of physicochemical data.
nakamura25
Hi all,

I'm working on a project of carbon dioxide photocatalytic reduction. I need to dissolved as much CO2 as possible in water. Right now, the idea is to build a pressurized vessile (not overly high, probability no more than 3 atm) operates at room temperature. A diagram of CO2 solubility in H2O at different temperature and pressure should be helpful to me. I tried to read some wastewater treatment textbooks and google search, but couldn't find any.

I heard this book contains some uesful data:
Landolt Bornstein (4th volume, 6th ed,) ISBN 3-540-06564-4 Springer Verlag, 1976
Unfortunately I don't have access to this book.

Does anyone have information regarding CO2 solubility in H2O at different temperature and pressure?

I'd really appreciate your help.

Ting

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not saying you will find the information there, but search for International Critical Data Tables. They were published back in thirties or fourties. IIRC rights to the book are owned right now by Knovel, but they are either freely available on their site for browsing, or can be downloaded from their site, or at least they were made available for download at some point in time. Wealth of physicochemical data.

1. What is the relationship between temperature and CO2 solubility in water?

The solubility of CO2 in water decreases as temperature increases. This means that at higher temperatures, water can hold less CO2, and at lower temperatures, water can hold more CO2.

2. How does pressure affect the solubility of CO2 in water?

Increasing pressure increases the solubility of CO2 in water. This is because higher pressure forces the CO2 molecules closer together, making it easier for them to dissolve in water.

3. What is the solubility of CO2 in water at room temperature and atmospheric pressure?

At room temperature (around 25°C) and atmospheric pressure (1 atm), the solubility of CO2 in water is approximately 0.03 moles per liter. This means that for every liter of water, 0.03 moles of CO2 can dissolve in it.

4. Why does carbonated water lose its fizz when left in the open?

Carbonated water, or sparkling water, contains dissolved CO2 gas. When left in the open, the pressure decreases and the temperature increases, causing the CO2 to come out of solution and escape into the atmosphere. This is why carbonated water loses its fizz over time.

5. How does the solubility of CO2 in water affect the pH of the solution?

When CO2 dissolves in water, it forms carbonic acid (H2CO3), which can decrease the pH of the solution. This is why carbonated drinks, which have high levels of dissolved CO2, are more acidic than pure water. The equilibrium between CO2 and carbonic acid is also affected by temperature and pressure, which can further impact the pH of the solution.