Project on Nanowires: Formation and Experiments

• Thread starter khangee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the formation of nanowires is a complex and active area of research. Some theories suggest that they are formed through processes such as vapor-liquid-solid growth or self-catalyzed growth, while simulations also play a role in understanding their formation. The specific factors that influence the growth of nanowires are still not fully understood, but it is believed to be a combination of surface properties, composition, and growth conditions. Further research is needed to fully understand the formation of nanowires.
khangee
Hi Everybody
I have started a project on naowires. I am doing experimental stuff but also intereted in some sort of simulations. Could anybody tell me how the nanowires are formed when the atoms/molecules or clusters of atoms and molecules diffuse through the surface. I have searched the litratures a little but invain. I could not find an article about the theoratical detaild of nanowires.
My concern is why nanowires are formed in diffrenet processed , why the atoms or molecules prefer to grow nanowires on surfaces as experimentalists have explained a little.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

As a fellow scientist, I am also interested in the formation of nanowires and have done some research on the topic. From my understanding, the formation of nanowires is still not fully understood and is an active area of research.

One theory is that nanowires are formed through a process called vapor-liquid-solid (VLS) growth, where a vapor of atoms or molecules is condensed onto a liquid metal catalyst, which then acts as a nucleation site for the nanowire to grow on. This process is highly dependent on the surface properties and the composition of the vapor.

Another theory is that nanowires can also form through a process called self-catalyzed growth, where the atoms or molecules diffuse onto a surface and form a nucleation site for the nanowire to grow on. This process is also influenced by surface properties and the composition of the atoms or molecules.

There are also simulations that have been done to understand the growth of nanowires. These simulations use computational models to simulate the behavior of atoms and molecules on a surface, taking into account various factors such as surface energy, temperature, and composition. However, these simulations are still limited in their ability to fully predict the formation of nanowires.

In terms of why nanowires are formed in different processes, it could be due to a combination of factors such as the surface properties, the composition of the atoms or molecules, and the growth conditions. It is also possible that the formation of nanowires is a result of a combination of different processes.

I hope this information helps in your research on nanowires. Best of luck with your project!

1. What are nanowires?

Nanowires are structures made of semiconductor materials that have a diameter on the nanoscale, typically less than 100 nanometers. They can be thought of as tiny wires with dimensions that are thousands of times smaller than a human hair.

2. How are nanowires formed?

Nanowires can be formed using a variety of methods, including vapor-liquid-solid (VLS) growth, electrochemical deposition, and chemical vapor deposition. These methods involve the use of a substrate and a source material, such as a metal or semiconductor, to form the nanowire structure.

3. What are the potential applications of nanowires?

Nanowires have a wide range of potential applications in various fields, including electronics, energy storage, and biomedicine. They could be used to create more efficient and smaller electronic devices, improve the performance of batteries and solar cells, and even deliver targeted drug therapies.

4. What types of experiments are conducted on nanowires?

There are many types of experiments that can be conducted on nanowires, depending on the specific properties and applications being studied. Some common experiments include measuring electrical and optical properties, studying the effects of different growth conditions on nanowire formation, and exploring new methods for controlling and manipulating nanowires.

5. What challenges are associated with working with nanowires?

Working with nanowires presents several challenges, including the need for advanced fabrication techniques, precise control of growth conditions, and potential issues with stability and reliability. There may also be safety concerns associated with handling and disposing of nanowires due to their small size and potential toxicity.