Eigenvalue eqn for a electron in a one-dimensional lattice

In summary, the conversation discusses an electron moving in a one-dimensional lattice with adjacent atoms separated by a distance of a. The momentum eigenvalue equation for the electron is given by p = -ih d/dx. By requiring that the electron's wave function psi(x) satisfies the periodic boundary condition, psi(a) = psi(0), the possible values of the momentum of the electron can be determined. The general form of the solutions of the eigenvalue equation is not provided and the person asking the question is unsure of how to interpret the concept of a lattice. They were able to find a helpful article and figure out the problem.
RobLikesBrunc

Homework Statement

An electron moves in a one-dimensional lattice with the separation between adjacent atoms being equal to a.

a. Write down the momentum eigenvalue equation for the electron.
b. Find the general form of the solutions of the eigenvalue equation.
c. By requiring that the eletonr's wave function psi(x) statisfies the periodic boundary condition,

psi(a) = psi(0),

determine the possible values of the momentum of the electron.

Homework Equations

p = -ih d/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

So my question is less at being stuck on solving the problem and more of not understanding the question. I do not understand how to deal with a one-dimensional lattice in which an electron moves--my text does not talk about it whatsoever. Am I supposed to treat the electron as in some sort of finite well with width a? I really do not understand how to interpret this idea of a lattice, and thus, cannot even make an attempt at the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Note: this course is introductory quantum, I'm taking proper quantum next year. So we don't use matrices or linear vector spaces, etc. Our notion of an operator is confined to operator x function = constant x function. Sorry if this belongs in the introductory forum--I wasn't sure where to put it.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the eigenvalue equation for an electron in a one-dimensional lattice?

The eigenvalue equation for an electron in a one-dimensional lattice is given by Hψ = Eψ, where H is the Hamiltonian operator, ψ is the electron's wave function, and E is the energy of the electron.

2. How is the eigenvalue equation related to the Schrödinger equation?

The eigenvalue equation is essentially the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to determine the allowed energy levels of a system.

3. What is the significance of the eigenvalues in this equation?

The eigenvalues in this equation represent the allowed energy levels of the electron in the one-dimensional lattice. These energy levels determine the behavior and properties of the electron in the lattice.

4. Can this equation be solved analytically?

It is possible to solve this equation analytically for simple systems, such as a one-dimensional lattice. However, for more complex systems, numerical methods are often used to find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions.

5. How does the number of eigenvalues relate to the number of energy levels in the system?

The number of eigenvalues is equal to the number of energy levels in the system. Each eigenvalue corresponds to a unique energy level for the electron in the one-dimensional lattice. This allows us to determine the complete energy spectrum of the system.