X and y components of polar unit vectors.

In summary, the x- and y-components of the polar unit vectors \hat{r} and \hat{\theta} are (-1, 0) and (0, -1) respectively when \theta = 180°. The process is the same for \theta = 45° and \theta = 215°. The unit vector \hat{\theta} lies in the xy-plane and is 90 degrees counter-clockwise from \hat{r}. To find the x- and y-components of \hat{\theta}, use the angle addition identity to simplify cos(\theta+90°) and sin(\theta+90°).
jhosamelly

Homework Statement

What are the x- and y-components of the polar unit vectors [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] when
a. [itex]\theta[/itex] = 180°
b. [itex]\theta[/itex] = 45°
c. [itex]\theta[/itex] = 215°

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please check if I'm correct, i'll just show my answer for a since the process is the same for a, b and c

for a.

[itex]\hat{r_{x}}[/itex] = r cos [itex]\theta[/itex]
[itex]\hat{r_{x}}[/itex] = 1 cos 180°
[itex]\hat{r_{x}}[/itex] = -1

[itex]\hat{r_{y}}[/itex] = r sin [itex]\theta[/itex]
[itex]\hat{r_{y}}[/itex] = 1 sin 180°
[itex]\hat{r_{y}}[/itex] = 0

in terms of theta... i don't have any idea how... please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's exactly right. If you imagine a unit circle, at 180 degrees, you're on the opposite side of the circle from 0 degrees. x = -1, y = 0.

tjackson3 said:
That's exactly right. If you imagine a unit circle, at 180 degrees, you're on the opposite side of the circle from 0 degrees. x = -1, y = 0.

What about theta?? who could I find its x and y component?

Can someone help me how to find [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex]? I don't know how. thanks

jhosamelly said:
Can someone help me how to find [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex]? I don't know how. thanks
Do you not have a definition of the unit vector [itex]\hat{\theta}\,?[/itex]

The unit vector [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] lies in the xy-plane and is 90° counter-clockwise from [itex]\hat{r}\,.[/itex]

SammyS said:
Do you not have a definition of the unit vector [itex]\hat{\theta}\,?[/itex]

The unit vector [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] lies in the xy-plane and is 90° counter-clockwise from [itex]\hat{r}\,.[/itex]

I didn't really get what you said. sorry. can you show me an example on how to get x and y component for a then i'll do it for b and c. thanks. much appreciated.

jhosamelly said:
I didn't really get what you said. sorry. can you show me an example on how to get x and y component for a then i'll do it for b and c. thanks. much appreciated.
Well, if [itex](\hat{r})_x=\cos(\theta)\,,\text{ then }(\hat{\theta})_x=\cos(\theta+90^\circ)\,.[/itex] ... etc.

Use the angle addition identity to simplify cos(θ+90°) .

SammyS said:
Well, if [itex](\hat{r})_x=\cos(\theta)\,,\text{ then }(\hat{\theta})_x=\cos(\theta+90^\circ)\,.[/itex] ... etc.

Use the angle addition identity to simplify cos(θ+90°) .

so for a

[itex](\hat{\theta})_x=cos(180+90)[/itex]
[itex](\hat{\theta})_x=cos(270)[/itex]
[itex](\hat{\theta})_x= 0[/itex]

then

[itex](\hat{\theta})_y=sin (180+90)[/itex]
[itex](\hat{\theta})_y=sin (270)[/itex]
[itex](\hat{\theta})_y= -1 [/itex]

am i correct?

Yes. That's correct.

What are the x and y components of polar unit vectors?

The x and y components of polar unit vectors refer to the horizontal and vertical components of a vector in a polar coordinate system. These components are used to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector.

How are the x and y components of polar unit vectors calculated?

The x and y components of polar unit vectors can be calculated using trigonometric functions. The x component, also known as the horizontal component, is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle. The y component, or vertical component, is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle.

What is the relationship between the x and y components of polar unit vectors?

The x and y components of polar unit vectors are perpendicular to each other and form a right triangle. The magnitude of the vector can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem, where the hypotenuse is the vector itself, the horizontal component is the adjacent side, and the vertical component is the opposite side.

Can the x and y components of polar unit vectors be negative?

Yes, the x and y components of polar unit vectors can be negative. This depends on the direction of the vector in relation to the origin. If the vector is in the negative direction, then one or both of its components may be negative.

How are polar unit vectors used in science?

Polar unit vectors are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities. They are also useful in analyzing and solving problems involving circular motion, as well as in navigation and mapping applications.