Exploring Physical Chemistry in University

In summary: Although, i would like to help people in some way. In summary, Pete is thinking about possibly doing physical chemistry in university, but isn't really interested in medicine. He's been reading books on physical chemistry and is interested in the field, but is unsure of his career path. He's interested in other fields, such as biochemistry or medical physics, if he does physical chemistry in university. He's worried about job security and is concerned about the future of the world.
Bladibla
Hello all

I'm thinking of maybe doing physical chemistry in university (currently I'm 16) but as i am currently doing AS- level, I've chosen maths, biology, Chemistry, and Design technology.

Now the above subjects would be somewhat, pointed towards medicine, however, I'm not that keen on medicine. Although my parents would like it, i just ain't that keen on it.

Now, I've been looking for other subjects to do, and I've taken particular interest in phyiscal chemistry. From what i have seen, a lot of physical chemistry is on Quantum mechanics. Although I am not implying that i learn all from a book, I've started reading physical chemsitry books on the schrodinger equation, Bohr model etc..

Can anyone give me some advice on this? And if you do physical chemsitry in uni, what is it like for you?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bladibla said:
Hello all

I'm thinking of maybe doing physical chemistry in university (currently I'm 16) but as i am currently doing AS- level, I've chosen maths, biology, Chemistry, and Design technology.

Now the above subjects would be somewhat, pointed towards medicine, however, I'm not that keen on medicine. Although my parents would like it, i just ain't that keen on it.

Now, I've been looking for other subjects to do, and I've taken particular interest in phyiscal chemistry. From what i have seen, a lot of physical chemistry is on Quantum mechanics. Although I am not implying that i learn all from a book, I've started reading physical chemsitry books on the schrodinger equation, Bohr model etc..

Can anyone give me some advice on this? And if you do physical chemsitry in uni, what is it like for you?
I guess it depends on many factors. What are your goals? What is important to you? What are you interested in?

Keep in mind, for example, the the biotech industry is a pretty large industry and pretty fascinating stuff. If you like chemistry then you might also want to consider being a biochemist. If you like quantum mechanics you might think about biophysics, medical physics etc.

Job security is quite important from a practical standpoint. When I was young I was concerned more with "cool job" than I was "job security" which came in second. I'd do things a bit differently I think. When I graduated from college I went straight to work for a research company on a research contract with the Air Forces Rome Laboratory. It was a military contract and I figured this was a safe position to be in - the company never layed anyone off in the last 25 years. However! It was the following year that the government started cutting contracts, closing bases etc. I neglected to take into account that the cold war could end in my lifetime.

So I was layed off ... a month after I bought a brand spanking new Acura Integra! :cry:

The moral of this story - Be practical too. Consider everything before you make your final decision. Don't ignore simple questions like what the market is like for a particular career path etc. E.g. tell your parents you'll be a biopchemist if they buy you a new Ferrari. :biggrin:

Pete

pmb_phy said:
I guess it depends on many factors. What are your goals? What is important to you? What are you interested in?

Keep in mind, for example, the the biotech industry is a pretty large industry and pretty fascinating stuff. If you like chemistry then you might also want to consider being a biochemist. If you like quantum mechanics you might think about biophysics, medical physics etc.

Job security is quite important from a practical standpoint. When I was young I was concerned more with "cool job" than I was "job security" which came in second. I'd do things a bit differently I think. When I graduated from college I went straight to work for a research company on a research contract with the Air Forces Rome Laboratory. It was a military contract and I figured this was a safe position to be in - the company never layed anyone off in the last 25 years. However! It was the following year that the government started cutting contracts, closing bases etc. I neglected to take into account that the cold war could end in my lifetime.

So I was layed off ... a month after I bought a brand spanking new Acura Integra! :cry:

The moral of this story - Be practical too. Consider everything before you make your final decision. Don't ignore simple questions like what the market is like for a particular career path etc. E.g. tell your parents you'll be a biopchemist if they buy you a new Ferrari. :biggrin:

Pete

Well, my goal in life is... i have to find out. All i know is that its going to be about science in someway.
My interests are...well just about anything. Specifically, i love inorganic chemistry, quantum physics (from what i read), molecular biology, maths (i don't consider myself 'good', but I am determined to work as hard as i can), and DT (as i mentioned before)

I ain't in it for money, which many people who do biochemistry and medicine think of.

Very specifically, i have a lot of interest in the structure of the atom. That required to knowledge of elements, (chemistry) and also micro-physics (or quantum physics)

Bladibla said:
Well, my goal in life is... i have to find out. All i know is that its going to be about science in someway.
My interests are...well just about anything. Specifically, i love inorganic chemistry, quantum physics (from what i read), molecular biology, maths (i don't consider myself 'good', but I am determined to work as hard as i can), and DT (as i mentioned before)

I ain't in it for money, which many people who do biochemistry and medicine think of.

Very specifically, i have a lot of interest in the structure of the atom. That required to knowledge of elements, (chemistry) and also micro-physics (or quantum physics)
I hope you don't have the idea that joy of work and excellant pay are mutually exclusive. One can have their cake and eat it too.

Let me give you an example; Medical Physics. One can make an awesome living in this field. The pay is between $70,0000/year and $190,000/year. In this field one typically works at a Hospital (lots of nurses :wink: ) or a particle accelerator lad and would do things like work with particle accelerators, radiation, nuclear medicine etc. Proton therapy is becomming very popular now. Plus you can help people fight to live, which is always a good thing I think you'd agree. o:)

This field seems perfect for you since it has everything you're looking for. The benefits at hospitals are pretty good too. E.g. when I went to work on a military contract I started out with 2 weeks vaction per year. Hospitals will sometimes start you out with 1 month vacation per year. I highly recommend that you investigate it. E.g. go to Mass General's website and search on jobs using the key word "physics" and read the job description.

Pete's Philospohy of Life: Work to live. Don't live to work.

The best of all worlds is when you enjoy your work to the extent that it seems like play. However when you get into real life its all work no matter what. The newness will wear off and it becomes a job in all cases.

Pete

1. What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter at a molecular and atomic level. It involves the use of principles from physics, mathematics, and thermodynamics to understand and explain the behavior of chemical systems.

2. What topics are typically covered in a physical chemistry course?

Topics covered in a physical chemistry course may include thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, chemical kinetics, electrochemistry, and spectroscopy. Other topics that may be covered include statistical mechanics, surface chemistry, and molecular dynamics.

3. What skills are necessary to succeed in physical chemistry courses?

To succeed in physical chemistry courses, it is important to have a strong foundation in chemistry, mathematics, and physics. It is also essential to have good critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong understanding of scientific principles and theories.

4. What are some common laboratory techniques used in physical chemistry?

Some common laboratory techniques used in physical chemistry include spectroscopy, chromatography, electrochemistry, and calorimetry. Other techniques may include gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and X-ray crystallography.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in physical chemistry?

A degree in physical chemistry can lead to a variety of career opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, biotechnology, and environmental science. Physical chemists may also work in research and development, quality control, or academia. Additionally, physical chemistry can serve as a foundation for further studies in fields such as chemical engineering, medicine, or law.