Solving Sequence: Prove Decreasing with n

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the sequence a_n = n tan(π/n) is decreasing as n increases, and finding a proof that the sequence a_n = n sin(1/n) increases with n. The participants suggest using trigonometric identities and derivatives, and one participant provides a proof using the inequality sin(x) < x and the fact that tan(x) > x for any x.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
So I was trying to show that

[tex] a_n = n \tan\frac{\pi}{n} [/tex]

is decreasing as n increases (n>=3) . I can't see it. Anyone may help ? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
tan x = x + 1/3x3 + 2/15x5 + 17/315x7 + ...for |x| < π/2, so expand an and subtract from it an+1 and you should see this

I was aiming at a method from first principles (tangent is the ratio of sine and cosine), without derivatives, because I know that I can take n from N (>=3) to the real subset [3,infty) and analyze the sign of the first derivative of the function. It's negative for x>0, hence the function keeps decreasing as x increases. Then the monotonicity of the sequence follows.

Your definition of tangent needs to be proven equivalent to the triangle one.

I tried the tangent difference identities and such but it does not help. I think it is best to use the sine-tangent inequality to evaluate the derivative of sine and cosine, and then using them to evaluate the derivative of tangent. I doubt there is any better way using elementary means.

Going further, the proof I'm searching reduces to show that once [itex] \displaystyle{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/itex], the sequence

[tex] a_n = n \sin\frac{1}{n} [/tex]

increases with n.

How do I prove it ?

dextercioby said:
Going further, the proof I'm searching reduces to show that once [itex] \displaystyle{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/itex], the sequence

[tex] a_n = n \sin\frac{1}{n} [/tex]

increases with n.

How do I prove it ?

I'm not sure about this, but here's what I thought.

You can try seeing whether n increases faster than sin(1/n) decreases, by taking their derivatives(or some other method). You'll reach to the conclusion that n does increase at a faster rate than sin(1/n) decreases, hence, your original function increases.

I think you did not understand his point. We can easily differentiate the function and conclude that it increases everywhere because it has a positive derivative. He wants a proof that includes only trigonometric identities, and I am sceptic about whether it is possible to present such a proof.

I think that the first thing to do would be to express one of the sines in terms of the other one. To do this, I used this course of action:
[tex]\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}=\frac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex]
Then, I conclude that [itex]\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n(n+1)}=\frac{1}{n}[/itex]. I now tried to apply this to the sine sum formula as follows:
[tex]\sin\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)=\sin\left(\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\sin\left(\frac{1}{n+1}\right)\cos\left(\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\right)+[/tex]
[tex]\cos\left(\frac{1}{n+1}\right)\sin\left(\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\right)[/tex]
I then rearranged this into the inequality
[tex]n\sin\left(\frac{1}{n+1}\right)\cos\left(\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\right)+n\cos\left(\frac{1}{n+1}\right)\sin\left(\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\right) \leq n\sin\left(\frac{1}{n+1}\right)+\sin\left(\frac{1}{n+1}\right)[/tex]
which can be rewritten as
[tex]n\cos\left(\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\right)+n\cot\left(1/(n+1)\right)\sin\left(\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\right)\leq n+1[/tex]
It is straightforward to show that the first term in the LHS is less than or equal to n, so it appears we only need to prove
[tex]\cot\left(\frac{1}{n+1}\right)\sin\left(\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\right)\leq 1/n[/tex]
I am stuck here. This inequality is equivalent to the above function increasing monotonically.

Can anyone carry this on?

Note: After graphing the function using a program, I am convinced that the inequality holds when n is greater than one, and even more: 1/n and this function is asymptotic, their quotient has a limit of one.

Last edited:
Millennial said:
[tex]\cot\left(\frac{1}{n+1}\right)\sin\left(\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\right)\leq 1/n[/tex]
I am stuck here. This inequality is equivalent to the above function increasing monotonically.

Can anyone carry this on?

Here's what I did,

We know that sin(x) < x, for all x.

[tex]sin\left ( \frac{1}{n(n+1)} \right ) < \frac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex]

Substituting in the inequality Millennial had,

[tex]cot\left ( \frac{1}{n+1} \right ) \cdot \frac{1}{n(n+1)} \leq \frac{1}{n} \\

cot\left ( \frac{1}{n+1} \right ) \cdot \frac{1}{n+1} \leq 1[/tex]Having n>2 it follows that,

[tex]tan\left ( \frac{1}{n+1} \right ) \cdot (n+1) \geq 1[/tex]

We know that tan(x) > x for any x. Hence at the least possible condition, let us assume tan(x) = x. So we get,

[tex]\left ( \frac{1}{n+1} \right )\cdot (n+1) \geq 1[/tex]

Hence the proof.

Please tell me if there is a gap in my logic, as this I've not much practice with such questions :smile:

Infinitum said:
Here's what I did,

We know that sin(x) < x, for all x.

[tex]sin\left ( \frac{1}{n(n+1)} \right ) < \frac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex]

Substituting in the inequality Millennial had,

[tex]cot\left ( \frac{1}{n+1} \right ) \cdot \frac{1}{n(n+1)} \leq \frac{1}{n} \\

cot\left ( \frac{1}{n+1} \right ) \cdot \frac{1}{n+1} \leq 1[/tex]

Having n>2 it follows that,

[tex]tan\left ( \frac{1}{n+1} \right ) \cdot (n+1) \geq 1[/tex]

We know that tan(x) > x for any x. Hence at the least possible condition, let us assume tan(x) = x. So we get,

[tex]\left ( \frac{1}{n+1} \right )\cdot (n+1) \geq 1[/tex]

Hence the proof.

Please tell me if there is a gap in my logic, as this I've not much practice with such questions :smile:

Yes, that is quite elegant. I did not see that, probably due to me being busy with other questions. Thanks for your help with my proof :)

Millennial said:
Yes, that is quite elegant. I did not see that, probably due to me being busy with other questions. Thanks for your help with my proof :)

Yay! I was solving some integrals too, this was a fun break :biggrin:

Your method to get that inequality was really insightful. Probably wouldn't ever have thought of manipulating it that way. Thanks for the idea!

1. What does it mean for a sequence to be decreasing with n?

When a sequence is decreasing with n, it means that as n increases, the terms of the sequence are getting smaller. In other words, the value of the terms are decreasing as n increases.

2. How do you prove that a sequence is decreasing with n?

To prove that a sequence is decreasing with n, you need to show that the difference between consecutive terms is always negative. This can be done by using mathematical induction or by directly evaluating the terms of the sequence for different values of n.

3. What is the importance of proving that a sequence is decreasing with n?

Proving that a sequence is decreasing with n is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the sequence for larger values of n. It also helps us to better understand the overall trend of the sequence and its relationship with the variable n.

4. Can a sequence be both increasing and decreasing with n?

No, a sequence cannot be both increasing and decreasing with n. A sequence can only have one type of behavior with respect to n. However, a sequence can have both increasing and decreasing terms within its pattern.

5. What are some real-world applications of proving sequence is decreasing with n?

The concept of proving a sequence is decreasing with n has many real-world applications. For example, it can be used in economics to analyze the decrease in demand for a certain product over time. It can also be used in physics to study the decrease in velocity of a moving object as time goes on. Additionally, in computer science, it can be used to analyze algorithms and their efficiency as the input size increases.