What causes atoms to break up spontaneously?

In summary, the conversation is about the search for resources to understand why certain atoms break up spontaneously while others are stable, with a specific interest in the Weak Nuclear force. The speaker is looking for book or website recommendations for beginner/intermediate level physics. Two links are suggested as potential resources.
stunner5000pt
Till now i have not found any decent site/article/book that actually answers my question of why certain atoms such as Uranium 235/238 and carbon-14 break up spontaneously while others are relatively stable. Could someone perhaps suggest a book or website or article that explains this (i am currently in the second year of university doing physics).

Physics news on Phys.org
have you learned about the Weak Nuclear force yet?

no, i haven't, but i would ccertainly like to leanr about it.

what would be good beginner/intermediate type of physics book that would help me??

1. What is radioactivity?

Radioactivity is the process by which unstable atoms release energy in the form of radiation, which can take the form of particles or electromagnetic waves. This process occurs naturally in some elements, and can also be induced through artificial means.

2. What causes radioactivity in atoms?

Radioactivity is caused by the unstable nature of an atom's nucleus. Atoms with unstable nuclei have an excess of either protons or neutrons, which causes them to release energy in order to become more stable. This process is known as radioactive decay.

3. What are the different types of radiation emitted during radioactive decay?

There are three main types of radiation emitted during radioactive decay: alpha particles, beta particles, and gamma rays. Alpha particles are made up of two protons and two neutrons and have a relatively low penetrating power. Beta particles are high-energy electrons and can penetrate deeper than alpha particles. Gamma rays are electromagnetic waves and have the highest penetrating power.

4. What are some common sources of radioactivity?

Natural sources of radioactivity include elements such as uranium, thorium, and potassium, which are present in the Earth's crust. Artificial sources of radioactivity include nuclear power plants, nuclear weapons, and medical procedures that use radioactive materials.

5. How does exposure to radioactivity affect living organisms?

Exposure to high levels of radioactivity can cause damage to living cells and tissues, leading to radiation sickness or even death. However, low levels of exposure are common and do not usually pose a significant health risk. Some organisms, such as bacteria and plants, have evolved to use radioactivity for various biological processes.