Who Will Win the 2012 Nobel Prize in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses potential winners of a prize this year and the predictions made by Reuter's. Some believe that quantum teleportation may be a worthy topic, while others argue for quantum cryptography/communication. There is also mention of Peter Higgs and his age being a factor in his potential win.
WiFO215
Who do you think will win the prize this year? What are your predictions? Do you think it's Higgs hands down? http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/19/idUS36510+19-Sep-2012+HUG20120919 predicts that it'll be Bennett, Brassard and Wootters. I'm not so sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder whether quantum teleportation would be worthy? I would believe Reuter's prediction should the topic win, but I'm not sure about the topic itself.

NullSpace0 said:
I wonder whether quantum teleportation would be worthy? I would believe Reuter's prediction should the topic win, but I'm not sure about the topic itself.

I agree, I would probably rank quantum cryptography/communication higher than just teleportation, because QKD is one of the few quantum technologies that have really been turned into something commercial lately (and that is in the spirit of the original Nobel statement). Big names to consider here would be Anton Zeilinger and Nicolas Gisin perhaps.

Peter Higgs

Too early for Higgs, no?

schaefera said:
Too early for Higgs, no?

Well, probably, but then again, at 83, he isn't getting any younger..

What is the Nobel Prize 2012 Physics?

The Nobel Prize 2012 Physics is an annual award given to individuals who have made significant contributions to the field of physics. It is one of the most prestigious awards in the scientific community.

Who won the Nobel Prize 2012 Physics?

The Nobel Prize 2012 Physics was awarded jointly to Serge Haroche and David J. Wineland for their groundbreaking work in quantum optics, specifically in the field of manipulating individual quantum systems.

What were Serge Haroche and David J. Wineland's contributions to physics?

Serge Haroche and David J. Wineland independently developed methods to measure and control individual particles without destroying their quantum states. Their work has paved the way for advancements in quantum computing and precision measurement.

How is the Nobel Prize 2012 Physics awarded?

The Nobel Prize 2012 Physics is awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, based on recommendations from a committee of experts in the field. The award consists of a medal, a diploma, and a cash prize.

What impact did the Nobel Prize 2012 Physics have on the scientific community?

The Nobel Prize 2012 Physics brought attention to the field of quantum optics and encouraged further research in this area. It also highlighted the importance of advancements in precision measurement and quantum computing, which have potential applications in various fields such as telecommunications and cryptography.