Last Minute Help with Lab Write Up Due Tomorrow

• Thread starter Dooh
  • Start date
In summary, a student is struggling with a lab write up due tomorrow after missing a few days of school. They have managed to figure out most of the experiment but are stuck on a question about the amount of heat evolved when using different amounts of sodium hydroxide. The student believes the answer is four times more, but is unsure about the effect on the change in heat. Another student explains that 2 grams of NaOH will give Q1=x/20 calories and 8 grams of NaOH will give Q2=x/5 calories, since it is 1/20 and 0.2 moles respectively.
Dooh
I have been spending nearly 3 hours on this lab write up that is due tomorrow. since i had missed a couple days of school, there are somethings that i was not introduced to therefore this is kinda hard for me. I managed to figure out most part but this is what I'm stuck on right now.

Part of the experiment requires us to mix 2g of NaOH with water and calculate the amount of heat evolved. This question asked: suppose to had used 8g of NaOH instead, what would have been the number of calories evolved in the experiment and what effect would this have on change if Heat? I keep thinking its four times more but that's going to only apply to the temperature. So is there anyone on this late at night taht can help me?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sodium hydroxide gives x calories per mole upon dissolution; so 2 grams of NaOH (m.w.=40 grams/mol) will give Q1=x/20 calories, since this is 1/20 moles. If you use 8 grams of NaOH, you'll get Q2=x/5 calories. This is because 8 grams of NaOH is 0.2 moles.

Hi there,

I understand that you are struggling with your lab write up that is due tomorrow. It can be tough to catch up on missed material and complete assignments on a tight deadline. However, I suggest taking a deep breath and approaching this step by step.

Firstly, it's great that you managed to figure out most of the lab write up. That shows determination and effort on your part. Now, let's focus on the part that you are stuck on.

To answer the question about the amount of heat evolved, we need to use the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat evolved, m is the mass of the substance (in this case, NaOH), c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

Since you were asked to calculate the amount of heat evolved if 8g of NaOH was used instead of 2g, we can use the same formula but with a different value for m. The specific heat capacity and change in temperature will remain the same.

So, if we plug in the values, we get Q = 8g x c x ΔT. Since the specific heat capacity and change in temperature are constant, the only variable that changes is the mass (m). Therefore, the amount of heat evolved would be four times more (8g/2g = 4).

As for the effect on the change in heat, it would still be the same as the specific heat capacity and change in temperature are constant. The only difference would be the amount of heat evolved, which we have already calculated.

I hope this helps you with your lab write up. Remember to double-check your calculations and make sure to cite your sources. Good luck!

1. What should I do if I have a lab write up due tomorrow and I haven't started yet?

If you have a lab write up due tomorrow and you haven't started yet, the first thing you should do is take a deep breath and try not to panic. Then, make a plan of action. Start by reading through the lab instructions and gathering all the necessary materials. Next, prioritize the sections of the lab write up that are most important and focus on those first. You may also want to reach out to your lab partners or the instructor for help or guidance.

2. How can I efficiently complete my lab write up in a short amount of time?

To efficiently complete your lab write up in a short amount of time, it's important to be organized and focused. Start by breaking down the lab write up into smaller, manageable tasks. Then, set a timer for each task to ensure you stay on track. Use any available resources, such as lab notes or previous experiments, to help you complete the write up quickly and accurately. Lastly, avoid distractions and try to work in a quiet and comfortable environment to maximize your productivity.

3. What should I include in my lab write up to ensure a good grade?

To ensure a good grade on your lab write up, make sure to include all necessary information and follow the instructions given by your instructor. This typically includes a title, introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. Be sure to accurately and clearly describe the purpose of the lab, the procedures you followed, and any conclusions or insights you gained from the experiment. Additionally, make sure to properly cite any sources used and proofread for any grammatical or spelling errors.

4. Is it okay to ask for help with my lab write up?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with your lab write up. In fact, it is often encouraged to seek assistance from your lab partners, instructor, or even a tutor. They may be able to provide helpful insights, clarify any confusing instructions, or proofread your write up for errors. Just make sure to properly credit any outside help in your write up.

5. How can I avoid procrastinating on my lab write up in the future?

To avoid procrastinating on your lab write up in the future, it's important to plan ahead and manage your time effectively. Start by breaking down the assignment into smaller, manageable tasks and setting a timeline for each one. This will help you stay on track and avoid leaving everything until the last minute. Additionally, try to create a schedule or routine for completing assignments and stick to it. Lastly, avoid distractions and set aside dedicated time for working on your lab write up to ensure you have enough time to complete it without rushing.