Suggestions for Books on Philosophy: Share Yours Here!

In summary, the conversation was about book recommendations on philosophy. One person suggested "The Nature of Personal Reality" by Jane Roberts, which explores different ideas and perspectives on personal philosophy. Another person recommended "The Art of Happiness" by the Dali Lama and Howard C. Cutler, which combines self-help and philosophy. A third person shared their love for fantasy books, specifically the "His Dark Materials" series, which delves into the concept of religion and consciousness. Other book recommendations included "I Am Mordred" and "The Source." The conversation also touched on the availability of these books online.
Rasine
i am looking for suggestions for any kinds of books on any kind of philosophy. does anyone have suggestions? if you do please state the subject of the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
This might get deleted, but try "The Nature of Personal Reality" by Jane Roberts. It was originally published by Prentice-Hall and copies are available on e-Bay.

Not a run of the mill view and should open your mind to all possibilities. It is not for everyone.

love&peace,
olde drunk

what kind of person would you suggest that book to?

Rasine said:
what kind of person would you suggest that book to?
Good question!

Most of us study philosophy so that we can develop our own philosophy. This would explore most ideas. If you are working for a post grad degree, etc this would only confuse the issue.

This book helped me understand my role in the universe and this world. It is not religious nor espousing anyone discipline. It pretty much uses all philosophical ideas. It is pantheistic in nature.

love&peace,
olde drunk

A book that i share a lot of my views with is "the art of happiness" by the Dali Lama and Howard C. Cutler. It's kinda a self-help/philosphy type of book. Very interesting to me.

ughhh...Im a big fantasy book reader so if you don't like fantasy don't read these:
His Dark Materials(series that includes): The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass. i am currently re-reading the g.c. and while it isn't hardcore philosphy or anything it does involve a struggle between the church and ...lets call them free-lancers because i don't know another word for them. It gets into does god exist and why ppl like religion with arguments on both sides, and consiousness. DONT read for philosophy though read because you want a good book.
I am Mordred(check the spelling)- I read this along time ago also and while it isn't hardcore it did make me begin to think about determinism and fate. Mordred if you don't like you king arthur legends was his son out of wedlock that was Fated to kill him! I talks about how he tries to deal with the fact that he must kill his father.

obviously my books suck from a intellectual p.o.w but hey i like them and strongly recommend His Dark Materials series, so if you don't well you can just go...read another book :P

i will have to look at the art of happiness sometime soon, any chance there is a online version lol, preferably free? or is it only in hardback?

Hey, for entertainment the Dune trilogy is fantastic. It includes the christ drama, etc

And then, there's always Johnathan Livingston Seagull.

The Source is a great piece of fiction to show how we evolved our beliefs (fictionalized, of course).

love&peace,
olde drunk

Bought the art of happiness on hardcover and I'm not sure if it's available online because I never looked. :)

My first serious reading in philosophys (a little more than 50 years ago) was Will and Areial Durant's volumes on the subject. I forget the title, but I do not recall reading any thing better later.

1. What is the purpose of sharing book suggestions on philosophy?

The purpose of sharing book suggestions on philosophy is to provide a diverse and comprehensive list of books to readers who are interested in exploring the subject. It allows for a wider range of perspectives and ideas to be presented and encourages critical thinking and discussion.

2. How do I know which books to recommend?

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to recommending books on philosophy. It is important to consider your own personal interests and experiences, as well as the content and themes of the book. You can also take into account the recommendations and reviews of others.

3. Are there any specific genres or topics of philosophy that should be included?

No, there are no specific genres or topics of philosophy that should be included. Philosophy is a vast and diverse subject, and different books can cover a wide range of topics. It is important to include a variety of books that cover different perspectives and ideas.

4. Can I recommend books that I haven't personally read?

Yes, you can recommend books that you haven't personally read. However, it is important to disclose this information to ensure transparency and to provide readers with a well-informed recommendation.

5. How should I format my book suggestions?

There is no specific format for sharing book suggestions on philosophy. You can simply list the book title and author, or you can provide a brief summary of the book and why you are recommending it. You can also include links to the book or additional resources for readers to learn more.