Treatment of Integral as an Operator?

In summary, the tutor showed the concept of using the resolvent method for integral equations, with the examples of an integral equation and a differential equation. This method involves using the Liouville-Neumann series to find a solution, but it may not always work for all differential equations. More information can be found by searching for the resolvent method or consulting sources such as Whittaker and Watson's Course of Modern Analysis.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
My tutor showed me something today, and I still can't completely wrap my head around why it makes sense. Consider the following integral equation:

##\int f(x) = f(x) - 1##

Then:

##\int (f(x)) - f(x) = -1 \implies f(x) \left( \int (\text{Id}) - 1\right) = -1##

so we get the geometric series

##f(x) = \frac{1}{1 - \int(Id)} = 1 + \int + \int\int + \int\int\int + ... = 1 + x + \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{6}x^3 + ... = e^x##

which satisfies our original equation if we choose the right constant of integration. Similarly, take the differential equation (using D as the differential operator):

##Df = f - 1 \implies f\left(D(\text{Id}) - 1\right) = -1##

##f = 1 + D + (D \circ D) + (D \circ D \circ D) + ... = 1##

which also satisfies our original equation.

Is this mathematically valid, or was he pulling my leg? And if so, could someone help me make sense of why this is valid?

Trying this on some other differential equations seems to show that this doesn't always work -- I was wondering if anyone could point me to an article that says more about the idea behind this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
##\int (f(x)) - f(x) = -1 \implies f(x) \left( \int (\text{Id}) - 1\right) = -1##

I would have kept the ##f(x)## on the RHS so that the integral operator acts on it, but there is a way to make the formalism mathematically sound. The right terminology to use when searching on this is the resolvent method for (Fredholm) integral equations. In particular, this seems to be an example of a Liouville-Neumann series solution to the particular equation of interest.

I don't have any great recommendations for sources to learn more about this, but I have probably encountered integral equations years ago in Whittaker and Watson's Course of Modern Analysis. There are various lecture notes available via google that might be worthwhile as well.

1. What is an integral operator?

An integral operator is a mathematical concept that represents a function that maps one function to another by integrating the first function against a kernel. It can be thought of as a "superfunction" that takes in a function and outputs another function.

2. How is an integral operator used in mathematics?

Integral operators are used in various branches of mathematics, including differential equations, functional analysis, and harmonic analysis. They are particularly useful in solving equations involving infinite series or functions, as well as in studying the properties of operators.

3. What is the difference between a bounded and an unbounded integral operator?

A bounded integral operator has a finite range of functions it can map to, while an unbounded integral operator can map to an infinite range of functions. In other words, a bounded integral operator has a limited "scope" of operations, while an unbounded operator has a wider scope.

4. How is an integral operator represented in notation?

An integral operator is typically represented using the symbol "K" or "T", followed by a subscript indicating the kernel being integrated against. For example, if the kernel is "x", the integral operator would be represented as "Kx" or "Tx".

5. What is the significance of the kernel in an integral operator?

The kernel in an integral operator determines how the input function is integrated to produce the output function. It plays a crucial role in the properties and behavior of the integral operator, and different kernels can lead to different types of operators with varying properties.