What Determines the Gradient of ln(ax) for Different Values of a?

• Thread starter JizzaDaMan
  • Start date
In summary: The function y = ln(ax) can be rewritten as y = ln(a) + ln(x), and since ln(a) is constant, its derivative is 0. The derivative of ln(x) is 1/x, so the derivative of y with respect to x is simply 1/x.In summary, the derivative of y = ln(ax) is always 1/x, regardless of the value of a. This can be shown by rewriting the function as y = ln(a) + ln(x), where ln(a) is a constant and its derivative is 0, and the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x. This is also evident in the attached graph, where different values of a are shown to have the same derivative
JizzaDaMan
It's easy to show that [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] of [itex]y = ln(ax)[/itex] where [itex]a \in ℝ, a > 0[/itex] is always [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] :

[itex]y = ln(ax)[/itex]
[itex]y = ln(a) + ln(x)[/itex]

[itex]ln(a)[/itex] is constant so its derivative is 0, and the derivative of [itex]ln(x)[/itex] is [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex].
Hence:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{x}[/itex]

Attached is an image of y=ln(ax) with a = 1,2,3,4,5. It also shows all of their derivatives to be the same (the curve at the top). But they are clearly different curves! There must be some point at which one has a larger gradient than the others?? What am I missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-11-30 12:27:43.jpg
    Screenshot from 2013-11-30 12:27:43.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 588
Physics news on Phys.org
JizzaDaMan said:
But they are clearly different curves! There must be some point at which one has a larger gradient than the others?? What am I missing?
The curves are just shifted upwards/downwards with respect to each other. This is not easy to see in the graph (as their non-vertical "distance" is not constant), but it is right. And constant offsets do not show up in the derivative.

oh of course! :D I feel a bit stupid now :P I guess they're shifted up by ln(a) right?

That's right.

Also, you don't "take dy/dx" of some function. dy/dx already represents the derivative of y with respect to x.

What is the derivative of ln(ax)?

The derivative of ln(ax) is d/dx (ln(ax)) = 1/x.

How do you find the derivative of ln(ax)?

To find the derivative of ln(ax), you can use the chain rule: d/dx (ln(ax)) = 1/x * d/dx (ax) = 1/x * a = a/x.

What is the derivative of ln(ax) for any value of a?

The derivative of ln(ax) for any value of a is d/dx (ln(ax)) = a/x.

Can the derivative of ln(ax) be simplified further?

Yes, the derivative of ln(ax) can be simplified to a/x.

What is the significance of the derivative of ln(ax)?

The derivative of ln(ax) is important in many applications of calculus, such as optimization problems and curve sketching. It also has a wide range of real-world applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.