Wireless USB to USB: Can It Be Done?

In summary, there is a wireless USB standard available for connecting devices, such as a printer, to a laptop without the need for a physical USB cable. However, this standard has not gained much popularity due to the prevalence of Bluetooth. Alternatively, one can purchase a Bluetooth or WiFi printer server to connect their printer to their laptop wirelessly. The WiFi option offers faster data transfer rates compared to Bluetooth.
888eddy
is there such a thing as a wireless usb to usb. for example i want to connect my printer to my laptop and it would be really easy if i could simply plug a thing into the usb input on my laptop and plug a thing into the usb of the printer and it would work essentially as a wireless usb cable.

basicaly I am not to hot with computers and i can't get my head around printer sharing. also its not ideal to have to have my PC on when i need to print something, it wuold be much better with a direct link to the printer without having to by a new wifi printer.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There is a wireless USB standard but it has never really caught on because Bluetooth got there first.
You can buy either a bluetooth USB printer server or a wifi (better) one for your printer and then connect using the either the built-in wifi in your laptop or adding a usb wifi adaptor.

Actually it's just starting to take over, and if I recall correctly it's has a much faster data-transfer rate to be compared to bluetooth.

Thanks, guys.

1. Can wireless USB to USB connections be achieved?

Yes, it is possible to establish a wireless connection between two USB devices. This can be done using a technology called Wireless USB (WUSB), which is based on the USB protocol but uses wireless signals instead of physical cables.

2. How does wireless USB to USB work?

Wireless USB to USB connections work by using a wireless radio link to transmit data between two USB devices. This radio link operates in the unlicensed 3.1 to 10.6 GHz frequency band and can achieve data transfer speeds of up to 480 Mbps.

3. What are the advantages of wireless USB to USB?

One of the main advantages of wireless USB to USB is the elimination of physical cables, which can reduce clutter and make it easier to connect devices that are not in close proximity. It also allows for greater mobility and flexibility, as devices can be connected and used without being restricted by cable length.

4. Are there any limitations to wireless USB to USB?

Yes, there are some limitations to wireless USB to USB connections. The range of the wireless signal is limited, typically up to 10 meters, so devices will need to be relatively close to each other for the connection to work. Additionally, the signal can be affected by obstacles such as walls or interference from other wireless devices.

5. What types of devices can use wireless USB to USB?

Wireless USB to USB can be used with a variety of devices, including computers, printers, scanners, external hard drives, and other peripherals. As long as the devices have wireless USB capabilities, they can establish a connection and transfer data wirelessly.