Coefficient of Friction and Normal Force

In summary, the force of friction is not directly dependent on the surface area, but rather on the pressure between the surfaces. This pressure is affected by the weight distribution and contact points, which can change with surface area. However, within its range of applicability, Coulomb's theory of dry friction has shown to give accurate results. For cases outside of this range, other theories must be used.
Abraham
I know that the force of friction is the (coefficient of friction) x (normal force). My question is, why isn't area involved? That is, why wouldn't a larger surface have more friction than a smaller surface, if the normal force is the same?

PS: Sorry, just in case this is in the wrong section

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no reason why the coefficient of friction can't implicitly depend on area.

nicksauce said:
There is no reason why the coefficient of friction can't implicitly depend on area.

erm … I've no idea what that means. :rolleyes:
Abraham said:
I know that the force of friction is the (coefficient of friction) x (normal force). My question is, why isn't area involved? That is, why wouldn't a larger surface have more friction than a smaller surface, if the normal force is the same?

Hi Abraham! :smile:

Because the larger the surface, the more its weight is spread out.

The friction per area depends on the pressure between the surfaces …*the harder they're pressed together, the more friction you'd expect.

Pressure is force divided by area.

Halve the area, and the pressure is halved, so the friction per area is halved, so the total friction is still the same. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

The OP's first point (it seems) was that F = uN, implies that F does not depend on area. I was saying that this was false, as u could implicitly depend on area, as u also implicitly depends on many other things (material, roughness of surface, possibly temperature). You covered the rest, by explaining how F should not depend on area.

tiny-tim said:

Hi Abraham! :smile:

Because the larger the surface, the more its weight is spread out.

The friction per area depends on the pressure between the surfaces …*the harder they're pressed together, the more friction you'd expect.

Pressure is force divided by area.

Halve the area, and the pressure is halved, so the friction per area is halved, so the total friction is still the same. :smile:
if area is halved then pressure wud double (force remains same throughout-normal reaction force).
could u put forward ur point properly

nicksauce said:

The coefficient of friction in the standard friction model is dependent on the material properties mainly and to the environment to a certain extent, not the area.

CS

nicksauce said:
The OP's first point (it seems) was that F = uN, implies that F does not depend on area. I was saying that this was false... You covered the rest, by explaining how F should not depend on area.

You're contradicting yourself.

F does not depend on the area.

CS

chandangang said:
if area is halved then pressure wud double (force remains same throughout-normal reaction force).
could u put forward ur point properly

Please refrain from using text-speak. It makes interpreting your comments difficult. :wink:

CS

In the real world it depends on the surfaces involved. In the case of tires, maximum static friction force does not increase lineary with normal force, the ratio is called load sensitivity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_load_sensitivity

For tires, a larger area reduces the force per unit area, increasing friction (there is a point of diminishing returns due to unsprung weight).

Also in the second half of the second video on this web page, 4 objects of the same density are placed on a smooth board, and the smallest object slides last, although I'm not sure if this is friction force or something related to air between the objects and board.

http://www.gyroscopes.org/1974lecture.asp

Abraham said:

PS: Sorry, just in case this is in the wrong section

Friction is a complex phenomenon. One explanation of friction in dry surfaces (or very lightly lubricated) was introduced by Coulomb (it is a very simplified explanation, and what you are talking about). The static friction and kinetic friction coefficients are usually found to approximated values on engineering handbooks. Also, as you noticed Coulomb's theory doesn't care for the contact surface, which indeed can affect on the movement of a body in some cases.

In simple words, within its range of applicability Coulomb's theory of dry friction has given good results. For cases where Coulomb's theory is not applicable such as lubricated surfaces, other theories must be employed.

Now read this..
When the surface area is reduced , the pressure on the contact points between the two surfaces increases. As a result some contact points undergo deformity in shape and hence more number of contact points are obtained (imagine the contact points to be like mountains if the height of peak is reduced then there would be more number of hills with the same height than were previously).
When there is greater surface area , pressure on the contact points are less. So they do not undergo deformity, but, due to greater surface area number of contact points are more already.
So in both the cases the total number of contact points remain same and hence friction remains same in both the cases.

1. What is the definition of coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces when in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the force required to keep the surfaces sliding over each other to the normal force pressing the surfaces together.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to maintain motion by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be calculated by measuring the angle at which an object begins to slide down a ramp, known as the angle of repose.

3. What is the relationship between coefficient of friction and normal force?

The coefficient of friction and normal force have a proportional relationship. This means that as the normal force increases, the force required to overcome friction also increases. In other words, the heavier the object, the more force is needed to move it.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the movement of an object?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in determining how easily an object can move. A higher coefficient of friction means that the object will require more force to overcome friction and move, while a lower coefficient of friction means that less force is needed.

5. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

There are several factors that can affect the coefficient of friction, including the type of material of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the presence of lubricants or other substances, and the temperature. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can also be affected by the normal force between the two surfaces.