What solutions can be used to analyze key failure in a lathe gearbox?

In summary, the key in the output pulley of the gearbox of a lathe fails due to sudden forward and reversing motion, which causes a lot of acceleration and inertial force. The key is designed to deform first to prevent damage to the shaft, but this can cause a decrease in the contact area between the key and the shaft, leading to a decrease in torque transmission. The solution to this problem may involve minimizing the deformation of the key or finding a way to increase the contact area between the key and the shaft.
stardinesh
i hav to find out why the key in output pulley fails due to sudden forward and reversing(in gearbox of lathe)i did some theoretical calculations in crushing & shear stress.please tel some solution regarding analysis of the key

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there,

You question or comment is not terribly clear to me. Would you be kind enough to post a picture or drawing of your problem, and what exactly you are looking for.

Cheers

stardinesh said:
i hav to find out why the key in output pulley fails due to sudden forward and reversing(in gearbox of lathe)

it fails because of inertia. A sudden change of direction of motion means a lot of acceleration & a lot of inertial force(Iα/r) & probably a lot of impact load.

What kind of failure did you observe/calculate for the key?

sorry,i can't upload the figure,
imagine a key resting on the key way of shaft,then due to sudden forward & reversig the key makes the keyway(of shaft) larger,thus decreasing the area of contact of key to the shaft along the rectangular perimeter,
i need a analysis software to find at what place the key hits the keyway harder.i.e,to do force anlysis in the key

stardinesh said:
sorry,i can't upload the figure,
imagine a key resting on the key way of shaft,then due to sudden forward & reversig the key makes the keyway(of shaft) larger,thus decreasing the area of contact of key to the shaft along the rectangular perimeter,
i need a analysis software to find at what place the key hits the keyway harder.i.e,to do force anlysis in the key

I hope that you do know that an analysis software is not a magic wand. It is only an engineering tool, not an engineer itself.
Before jumping to a shiny graphic solution, you should understand the physics of the problem. I am still not sure what you mean by making the keyway larger. In practice, key is designed to deform first, to prevent any damage to the shaft(you should know which one is costly?? shaft or key!)
In the mean time, try going through this
http://www.motioncontrol.com/products/index.cfm/Selecting-Keyless-vs-Keyed-Connections-for-Motor-to-Gear-Reducer

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the address provided,in that 2.keyed shaft diagram,the effective key height reduces (h)as i told earlier the key hits the keyway of shaft ,thereby increasing the width at the edges(the contact area of key to shaft reduces),thus decreasing the torque transmitted by the key.
i know the failuring area, and conducted practical tests to find the minimum speed (recorded by a tachometer) when suddenly reversed by the shaft.
now i can't know how to minimize the enlarging of the keyway at the edges,i wil try to go through fully the material u provided.

now i can't know how to minimize the enlarging of the keyway at the edges
keyway doesn't get larger, the key deforms & finally fails

In practice, key is designed to deform first, to prevent any damage to the shaft(you should know which one is costly?? shaft or key!)

what u r telling is correct from design point of view,but my sir told this problem to solve it.i wil go and ask him what exactly did he see,
thanks

What is the mode of key failure?

The mode of key failure refers to the most frequently occurring type of key failure in a given dataset or sample. It is a measure of central tendency that can help identify the most common cause of key malfunction.

How is the mode of key failure calculated?

To calculate the mode of key failure, the total number of occurrences of each type of key failure is counted and the type with the highest frequency is identified as the mode. In some cases, there may be multiple modes if there are multiple types of failures with the same frequency.

Why is it important to find the mode of key failure?

Knowing the mode of key failure can provide valuable insight into the most common issues with a particular set of keys. This information can help guide improvements or changes to the key design or manufacturing process to reduce the frequency of failures.

Can the mode of key failure change over time?

Yes, the mode of key failure can change over time as different factors, such as changes in the manufacturing process or materials used, can affect the types and frequency of key failures. It is important to regularly monitor and recalculate the mode to stay informed of any shifts in key failure patterns.

Are there any limitations to using the mode to analyze key failures?

The mode is just one measure of central tendency and does not provide a full picture of the distribution of key failures. It is also not useful when there are no repeated values or when all types of key failures have the same frequency. In these cases, other statistical measures may be more appropriate for analyzing key failure data.