Choosing AS Subject: Should I Pick Biology or Spanish?

• Thread starter FeDeX_LaTeX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary: The only real advantage AS-Spanish has is that you'll be able to understand more of the conversations around you (i.e. in the workplace). It won't make much of a difference on your maths/physics degree though.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

I am in my final year of GCSE and sooner or later I will have to pick what I want to do for AS and A2 (A-Level).

For A2, I am fairly certain I will be picking Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

For AS however, I am a little stuck.

I will definitely be picking Maths/Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. However, I don't know whether or not I should pick Biology or Spanish for my last AS slot.

Which is considered to be more appealing by universities such as Cambridge and Oxford? I will end up achieving an A in both subjects but I don't know which to choose. The biology teachers at my school are terrible (as are the spanish teachers), but I can self-teach.

I plan on doing a degree or having a career in a maths/physics-related background.

I do not plan on going into any biology-related field at present, though I might change my mind in future (but for the past few years I have been strongly orientated toward maths/physics).

What should I pick? Biology or Spanish?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Hello;

I am in my final year of GCSE and sooner or later I will have to pick what I want to do for AS and A2 (A-Level).

For A2, I am fairly certain I will be picking Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

For AS however, I am a little stuck.

I will definitely be picking Maths/Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. However, I don't know whether or not I should pick Biology or Spanish for my last AS slot.

Which is considered to be more appealing by universities such as Cambridge and Oxford? I will end up achieving an A in both subjects but I don't know which to choose. The biology teachers at my school are terrible (as are the spanish teachers), but I can self-teach.

I plan on doing a degree or having a career in a maths/physics-related background.

I do not plan on going into any biology-related field at present, though I might change my mind in future (but for the past few years I have been strongly orientated toward maths/physics).

What should I pick? Biology or Spanish?

Thanks.

If you like both subjects equally, *may* go into Biology, but never plan to become a professor of Spanish literature, then the choice is obvious - Biology. Neither should make a big difference on your acceptability for a physics degree.

Thanks for your response;

Do you know if taking spanish at AS-level bears any effect on my career as a physicist? Will this broaden my options a little more?

Also, at GCSE I don't like either subject (but the dislike is equal toward both). I have looked up the A-level biology courses and they seem more interesting, however.

The chance of me going into biology is relatively slim; I have never really considered a career in biology nor do I want to, but I may. I guess it's similar to being a professor of Spanish literature; there's about a 1/10000 chance of me becoming one. It's unlikely, but I'm leaving room for the probability.

Is AS-spanish advantageous in any way as opposed to AS-biology when going for a maths/physics degree?

1. What are the benefits of choosing Biology as an AS subject?

Choosing Biology as an AS subject can provide you with a strong foundation in the sciences and open up opportunities for future studies and careers in the fields of medicine, research, and environmental science. It also allows you to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as gain a deeper understanding of the natural world around us.

2. What are the benefits of choosing Spanish as an AS subject?

Choosing Spanish as an AS subject can provide you with valuable language skills that can be useful in a variety of professions, including international business, translation, and teaching. It also allows you to gain a better understanding and appreciation of different cultures and can enhance your communication skills.

3. Which subject is more challenging, Biology or Spanish?

Both Biology and Spanish can be challenging subjects, but the level of difficulty can vary depending on your individual strengths and interests. Biology may require more memorization and understanding of complex concepts, while Spanish may involve more practice and application of grammar and vocabulary. It's important to choose a subject that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to succeed.

4. How can I decide between Biology and Spanish as an AS subject?

The best way to decide between Biology and Spanish as an AS subject is to consider your academic strengths and interests, as well as your future goals. If you are considering a career in a scientific field, then Biology may be the better choice. If you have a passion for language and culture, then Spanish may be a better fit. It can also be helpful to talk to your teachers, parents, and peers for their insights and advice.

5. Can I choose both Biology and Spanish as AS subjects?

It is possible to choose both Biology and Spanish as AS subjects, but it may be challenging to balance the workload and excel in both subjects. It's important to carefully consider your time management and study skills before deciding to take on both subjects. It may also be beneficial to talk to your teachers to see if they offer any support or resources for students taking multiple AS subjects.