Choosing Hard Classes: Benefits & Risks for Graduate School

In summary: Just because something is hard doesn't mean you're not going to be successful at it. If you put in the effort, you'll be able to do it.
brtgreen
When choosing my classes, I've always picked the easier class rather than taking the harder just so I can get a higher grade. (For example, I took Calc III last semester rather than Honors Calc III). Do you guys think this is a bad idea? If I want to go to graduate school wouldn't picking the harder classes probably kill my chances to get accepted?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're applying a short-term strategy that's likely to hurt you in the long run.

A few questions you may want to ask yourself:
1. Are these classes really so much easier?
2. What are they not covering?
3. How much higher are your marks really going to be? Some people actually perform better when challenged.
4. If the only way you canget into grad school is by taking easy classes, do you think that you'll really be all that successful? Grad school isn't any easier than undergrad, and usually there aren't "easier" options.
Once you get into grad school, and more importantly, once it's over, what really matters is what you've gotten out of the classes you took.

Choppy said:
I think you're applying a short-term strategy that's likely to hurt you in the long run.

A few questions you may want to ask yourself:
1. Are these classes really so much easier?
2. What are they not covering?
3. How much higher are your marks really going to be? Some people actually perform better when challenged.
4. If the only way you canget into grad school is by taking easy classes, do you think that you'll really be all that successful? Grad school isn't any easier than undergrad, and usually there aren't "easier" options.
Once you get into grad school, and more importantly, once it's over, what really matters is what you've gotten out of the classes you took.
To add to what Choppy said,

1) and 2) Where I go to, it seems there's a palpable difference between the Honours and regular courses. I may be biased, since I'm taking the Honours ones, but from what I hear from other students the regular ones are much, much easier, and that's what the professors that teach our courses say, as well. I don't know how it is at your school, though, so you might want to check that out.

Also, I see quite a lot of topics here where upper-year students are asking whether they should take a course or read a book on proofs. I don't know how your Maths courses are, but we've been doing proofs in our Honours Calculus and Linear Algebra courses almost from day one. I guess the biggest difference then comes from just that, namely that the Honours courses seem to be much more rigorous and proof-based, and I can honestly I'm not intimated by having to prove stuff anymore, since basically all of our homeworks are just prove this, prove that. That isn't to say I find it easy proving things, it's just that the techniques are not the bottle-neck. And, again, from what I hear, in regular courses it's more about computation, whereas we almost treat that as trivial. We still need to know how to compute everything those that are taking regular courses need to, but it seems that is taken almost as granted, and the hard stuff lies elsewhere.

3) Apart from the challenge, the averages are also higher in Honours courses, since it's my university's policy not to punish those taking tougher courses. That, of course, doesn't mean, there's only A's, but instead of a C average, you'll have a B- average or something akin to that. That may or may not be the case where you're at, though.

4) This, I think is the best point of all. If you're just taking the easy way out, then I think that's pretty weak.

1. What are the benefits of taking hard classes in graduate school?

Taking hard classes in graduate school can provide numerous benefits, such as challenging yourself and enhancing your critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It can also demonstrate your ability to handle difficult material and improve your academic record, which can be advantageous for future job opportunities or further education.

2. Are there any risks associated with taking hard classes in graduate school?

Yes, there are some risks to consider when choosing hard classes in graduate school. These may include a heavier workload, which can lead to stress and burnout, and potentially lower grades if you struggle to keep up with the material. Additionally, taking too many difficult classes may take away from the time and energy you have to dedicate to research or other academic commitments.

3. How do I determine if I should take a hard class in graduate school?

When deciding whether to take a hard class in graduate school, it is important to consider your own academic strengths and weaknesses, as well as your personal and professional goals. You may also want to talk to your advisor or other faculty members for their insight and recommendations. It is essential to weigh the potential benefits and risks carefully before making a decision.

4. How many hard classes should I take in graduate school?

The number of hard classes you should take in graduate school varies depending on your specific program and personal capabilities. It is generally recommended to take a challenging but manageable course load to balance your academic and personal responsibilities. It is also essential to consider your research or thesis workload and make sure you have enough time and energy to dedicate to those projects.

5. Can taking hard classes in graduate school impact my mental health?

Yes, taking hard classes in graduate school can have an impact on your mental health. It is essential to prioritize self-care and manage your stress levels while taking challenging courses. This may include seeking support from friends, family, or mental health professionals, practicing stress-relieving techniques, and managing your time effectively. If you feel overwhelmed, it is important to reach out for help and make adjustments to your course load if necessary.