Does a BA in physics look bad for grad school?

In summary: Basically, the only real difference is that the BA requires more upper division physics courses, but other than that, they are the same degree.Yes, I go to a UC, and over here the BA still requires those standard courses and lab.It's not the degree name that matters, it's the courses you are taking. If you have upper division QM, E&M, Classical Mechanics, Stat Mech and a year-long lab, you'll be in good shape.In summary, the only real difference between a BS and a BA at this university is that the BA requires more upper division physics courses. If you have the required classes and a year-long lab, you will be fine.
CyberShot
Okay, so I originally planned a B.S. but because I wanted to pursue a computer science minor and still graduate in 4 years, I thought about doing a BA in physics. Basically, I'm substituting the difference in BS and BA physics units with computer science courses.

Does this look bad for PhD programs? I'll be taking like 20 less physics units or so than with the B.S., but it shouldn't affect my physics GRE preparation either way because that stuff tests you on mostly lower division work, and maybe one or two upper div QM or thermo/stat mech.
Is it better to stick with the B.S?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the difference between at BS and a BA at your institution?

Norman said:
What is the difference between at BS and a BA at your institution?
About 20 upper division physics elective units beyond what I think is normally required for grad school.

When is the deadline to change your major? Just apply with a declared BS and after transcripts are out change to BA. If you're worried at all.

It's not the degree name that matters, it's the courses you are taking. If you have upper division QM, E&M, Classical Mechanics, Stat Mech and a year-long lab, you'll be in good shape.

CyberShot said:
About 20 upper division physics elective units beyond what I think is normally required for grad school.

I have no idea what that means. What are the class differences. As Vanadium pointed out, what matters is the classes you have taken. Are you still taking the standard upper level QM, EM, CM and StatMech/Thermo?

Norman said:
I have no idea what that means. What are the class differences. As Vanadium pointed out, what matters is the classes you have taken. Are you still taking the standard upper level QM, EM, CM and StatMech/Thermo?

Yes, I go to a UC, and over here the BA still requires those standard courses and lab.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's not the degree name that matters, it's the courses you are taking. If you have upper division QM, E&M, Classical Mechanics, Stat Mech and a year-long lab, you'll be in good shape.
This.
I made a thread asking if there is a major difference between having a BA and BS, and this quote is pretty much what I got from it.

1. Does having a BA in physics instead of a BS make a difference for grad school?

Despite popular belief, having a BA in physics instead of a BS does not make a significant difference for grad school. Both degrees demonstrate a strong foundation in physics and can lead to successful graduate studies.

2. Will having a BA in physics limit my options for grad school?

No, having a BA in physics will not limit your options for grad school. Many graduate programs accept students with a BA in physics, and your skills and experience will be more important factors in the admissions process.

3. Is it necessary to have research experience with a BA in physics to get into grad school?

While research experience can be beneficial for grad school admissions, it is not always necessary to have it as a BA in physics student. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as coursework, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

4. Can I still pursue a PhD with a BA in physics?

Yes, you can still pursue a PhD with a BA in physics. Many successful physicists have started with a BA degree and have gone on to obtain a PhD. Your graduate education will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in your chosen field.

5. Will having a BA in physics put me at a disadvantage compared to students with a BS?

No, having a BA in physics will not put you at a disadvantage compared to students with a BS. Your ability to excel in your coursework, participate in research opportunities, and demonstrate your passion for physics are more important factors for grad school admissions than the type of degree you have.