Help with factors (very basic)

• Thread starter blastoise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary, The statement "e and f are both factors of g" is correct if ef|g is true, as confirmed by another person in the conversation. This is generally true in the case of a|b and b|c, where a|c.
blastoise
I was wondering if this is a correct statement, I'm assuming it is for my proof.

Let e,f and g be non zero integers and assume ef|g is true.

I'm 100% positive this means [itex]e[/itex] and [itex]f[/itex] must both be a factor of [itex]g[/itex] .

May some one please confirm if I am correct or wrong please.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi blastoise! :wink:
blastoise said:
Let e,f and g be non zero integers and assume ef|g is true.

I'm 100% positive this means [itex]e[/itex] and [itex]f[/itex] must both be a factor of [itex]g[/itex] .

you're 100% right! :smile:

(generally, if a|b and b|c, then a|c)

What are factors?

Factors are numbers that can be multiplied together to get another number. For example, the factors of 10 are 1, 2, 5, and 10.

How do I find the factors of a number?

To find the factors of a number, you can start by dividing the number by 1 and itself. Then, continue dividing the number by each integer between 2 and the number itself. The numbers that divide evenly without a remainder are the factors.

What is the difference between prime and composite factors?

Prime factors are numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. Composite factors, on the other hand, are numbers that have more than two factors. For example, 2 and 5 are prime factors of 10, while 4 is a composite factor of 12.

Why are factors important in mathematics?

Factors are important in mathematics because they help us understand how numbers can be broken down into smaller parts. They are also used in many mathematical operations and concepts, such as prime factorization, greatest common factor, and least common multiple.

How can I use factors to simplify fractions?

Factors can be used to simplify fractions by finding the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator, and then dividing both by the GCF. This will result in an equivalent fraction that is simpler and easier to work with.