Projectile Motion soccer ball Problems

In summary: I'll do that tomorrow.In summary, we discussed solving problems involving projectiles and air resistance. For the first problem, we used the equation Δy=Vyt + 0.5αyt^2 to solve for time, which represents the total flight time of the soccer ball. Air resistance was assumed negligible in this problem. In the second problem, we calculated the velocity with which a stone hits the sea by using the equations s=v0t + 1/2 at^2 and v^2=u^2+2as, and discussed the effect of air resistance on our answer. In the third problem, we used the equation vy-uy=at to find the speed of launch, assuming air resistance was negligible. We also
pinksparkles2
1. A soccer ball is kicked so that it has a range of 30m and reaches a maximum height of 12m. What velocity (magnitude and direction) did the ball have as it left the footballer's foot?

I used the equation to solve for time and got 1.55s. I'm not sure if air resistance is involved, we never discussed how to solve problems with air resistance in class.

2. A stone is thrown with a speed of 20.0 m/s at an angle of 48° to the horizontal from the edge of a cliff 60.0m above the surface of the sea.
(a) Calculate the velocity with which the stone hits the sea.
(b) Discuss qualitatively the effect of air resistance on your answers to (a).

3. The maximum height reached by a projectile is 20m. The direction of the velocity 1.0s after launch is 20°; find the speed of launch.

Is air resistance included in all of these problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, what does 1.55s represent? Air resistance is assumed negligible.

Sorry, s stands for seconds. Could you explain how to solve the problems?

Sorry, I meant the interval of time, in seconds, what does that represent? Which equation did you use? Show those steps. For example of what I'm asking: does your time result represent the total flight time or the time it took to reach the highest point during flight?

I think the time is how long it was in flight, I'm not sure if this is correct or if I was even supposed to solve for time. I used this equation:

Δy=Vyt + 0.5αyt^2
12=0.5(-10)(t^2) and used this to solve for t

Okay, there was a term, Vyt. How did you make that disappear?

Isn't the velocity of y zero? So then it would be (0)(1.55) which is zero, right?

So to visualize what is going on-- along the y axis-- initially the footballer's foot gives an initial Vy0 resulting in the ball going up. At some time, the ball stops going up-- Vy = 0. This is what made Vyt disappear in your equation. You have solved for this time. Now the ball comes back down. The moment before it hits the ground, it has a non-zero velocity. Do not consider this zero velocity. By symmetry you can determine the total flight time.

Ok then how do I use this to find the magnitude and direction of velocity?

Now that you know the total flight time, can you determine Vx?

Last edited:
I could use Vx=Vox+at but I don't know what Vox is.

In the x direction, acceleration is 0. How about distance = rate * time?

I'm not sure what that formula is, will it help me solve for velocity? These are IB questions, not sure if that makes a difference.

That formula is a result of this formula with a = 0:

x - x0 = v0t+ 0.5at2

I think should start with what you know and do not know that lead to the answer.

Knowns(3) - x and y(0 and 12m) distances.
Unknowns(3) - v0, θ, t

So you need 3 equations.
There are 3 SUVAT equations.

s=v0t + 1/2 at2
v2=u2+2as
v-u =at
In this problem we are taking up positive and acceleration a as negative.

You have 2 s(x and y) which are independent.
So you need 3rd equation. You can use the last equation(vy-uy)=at as the third equation(only in y direction with acceleration).

Last edited:
pinksparkles2 said:
Ok then how do I use this to find the magnitude and direction of velocity?

I need to check out for the night. I was going to suggest that you find Vx0 (or Vx, since ax is 0), and then Vy0. The vector sum will give you the answer.

1. What is projectile motion and how does it relate to a soccer ball?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. A soccer ball follows a parabolic path when it is kicked into the air, making it an example of projectile motion.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a soccer ball during projectile motion?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a soccer ball during projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity.

3. How do you calculate the range of a soccer ball during projectile motion?

The range of a soccer ball can be calculated using the equation R = (v2sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a soccer ball during projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, affects the motion of a soccer ball during projectile motion by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. This is why a soccer ball will not travel as far in humid or windy conditions.

5. Can the motion of a soccer ball during projectile motion be affected by external forces?

Yes, external forces such as wind or a player's movement can affect the motion of a soccer ball during projectile motion. This is why factors like air resistance and initial velocity must be taken into account when predicting the trajectory of a soccer ball.