Aftermath of polymerization of EtOH

In summary, this conversation is about a way to polymerize ethylene using ethanol and sulfuric acid without the polyethylene sticking to the glass beaker.
Weissritter
In a very similar way to my first post ever, a short series of reactions came to mind that could be seen as apparent magic. You could use it for gaining instantaneous fame in a party, convincing people into pay attention to chemistry in basic levels of education and in conjunction with a time machine you could use it for making people believe you are a real magician.
In a recipient of any kind, high-purity ethanol, which can be bought pretty much everywhere, is mixed with sulfuric acid. The ethanol becomes ethene. (Does it become some sort of equilibrium situation there?). Now, the ethene is polymerized with FeCl3 and polyethylene appears "magically". These two reactions are easy to understand for me. What bugs me is the aftermath. If done in any glass-lab recipient, I can only imagine polyethylene would stick to it, rendering it useless for using it anytime else. So should these reactions be done in something disponsable, like a plastic bottle, for ensuring minimal costs?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You could think about putting a thin loop of copper wire into the glass beaker. what I believe may happen is that the reaction will be catalyzed at the metal surface due to higher surface energy relative to glass, and that the solidification of polyethylene will nucleate preferentially on the metal.

i think you can reuse the wire by melting off the polymer.

However I never tried this.

Weissritter said:
In a very similar way to my first post ever, a short series of reactions came to mind that could be seen as apparent magic. You could use it for gaining instantaneous fame in a party, convincing people into pay attention to chemistry in basic levels of education and in conjunction with a time machine you could use it for making people believe you are a real magician.
In a recipient of any kind, high-purity ethanol, which can be bought pretty much everywhere, is mixed with sulfuric acid. The ethanol becomes ethene. (Does it become some sort of equilibrium situation there?). Now, the ethene is polymerized with FeCl3 and polyethylene appears "magically". These two reactions are easy to understand for me. What bugs me is the aftermath. If done in any glass-lab recipient, I can only imagine polyethylene would stick to it, rendering it useless for using it anytime else. So should these reactions be done in something disponsable, like a plastic bottle, for ensuring minimal costs?

BP of ethylene is -108oC

chemisttree said:
BP of ethylene is -108oC
Chemisttree subtly tries to tell me ethylene is a gas which could escape from an open recipient, and whoever tries to do these reactions should do it in something closed, or in any lab system capable of sending the ethylene, in gas state, to a disponsable bottle for polymerization.
Am I right?

Yep. Not the kind of reaction you do as a demonstration.

But...but the reactions...magic...nevermind, thanks for clearing this doubt.

1. What is the process of polymerization of EtOH?

The polymerization of EtOH, or ethanol, is a chemical reaction in which ethyl alcohol molecules combine to form longer chains or networks. This process typically occurs in the presence of an acid catalyst or an initiator, which helps to break the double bond in ethanol and form new bonds between the molecules.

2. What are the potential consequences of polymerization of EtOH?

The aftermath of polymerization of EtOH can vary depending on the conditions and degree of polymerization. In some cases, it may result in the formation of a gel-like substance, which can cause equipment clogs and impede the reaction. It may also reduce the yield of the desired product and alter the properties of the final product.

3. How can one prevent polymerization of EtOH?

To prevent polymerization of EtOH, it is important to carefully control the reaction conditions. This includes using the appropriate amount of catalyst or initiator and maintaining the correct temperature and pressure. It is also important to monitor the reaction closely and avoid prolonged exposure to air or moisture, as these can also contribute to polymerization.

4. Can the polymerization of EtOH be reversed?

In most cases, the polymerization of EtOH cannot be reversed. Once the reaction has occurred and the ethanol molecules have formed longer chains, it is difficult to break these bonds and return the substance to its original state. However, in some cases, the polymerized EtOH can be used as a starting material for other reactions.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with the polymerization of EtOH?

Yes, there are some safety concerns associated with the polymerization of EtOH. The reaction can release heat and potentially cause a fire or explosion if not properly controlled. It is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, when conducting this reaction.