Register to reply

Flash freezing the brain

by Chase
Tags: brain, flash, freezing
Share this thread:
Chase
Feb3-14, 04:27 PM
P: 17
I've seen online that you can get a handful of your ashes sent into space for a hefty fee1 and it got me thinking... Would it be possible when dead to flash freeze the brain and send it up into space in a radiation proof container and just allow it to travel through space like the voyagers do?

Or would it eventually melt and decay ect? The reason I ask is because when you're dead, your dead as far as we know so I thought what is there to lose if someone wanted to send their brain into space and who knows, in a billion years an alien race might find it, defrost it without damaging it and somehow restore it or transfer it's memories onto a computer or something.

Obviously this seems somewhat farfetched and probably impossible but I thought I was ask why this would or wouldn't be possible. The biggest concern is the brain defrosting over time.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Photosensitive version of amiloride allows regulating the function of sodium-specific ion channels with light
Scientist hopes to improve rare earth purification process
Highly efficient nanoparticles could bring down the cost of fuel cells
Borek
Feb3-14, 05:05 PM
Admin
P: 23,363
What is the temperature in space?
Chase
Feb3-14, 05:13 PM
P: 17
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
What is the temperature in space?
~2.7K so I'm guessing it won't melt but is 2.7K cold enough so that decay won't occur?

mesa
Feb3-14, 08:21 PM
P: 509
Flash freezing the brain

Quote Quote by Chase View Post
~2.7K so I'm guessing it won't melt but is 2.7K cold enough so that decay won't occur?
Yes, what you have to worry about is sublimation.

Register to reply